Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Hard drive on macbook dead?

This is a discussion on Hard drive on macbook dead? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been a 2012 MacBook Pro that started being sluggish a few months ago after installing chrome. After researching, I

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've been a 2012 MacBook Pro that started being sluggish a few months ago after installing chrome. After researching, I realized my cpu was being eaten my chrome helper, and my stopping that, I recovered nearly half my power. I also had recently upgraded maverick a day or two before my issue...

Anyway, my computer froze the other night, which has been happening fairly often lately. I couldn't do anything except a hard reset with the power bottom. Upon restarting, I got the screen that shows the start-up disk can't be found (file with question mark). I tried everything, and the only thing that I can get my computer to do is start Internet recovery, and when I being up the disk utility, my hard drive is gone.

Now, I think I can handle replacing the hard drive, but I'm worried about making the investment to find out that's not the issue. I haven't had the macbook even 3 years (my last lasted 7+!) and I'm surprised my hard drive could have went. I don't really have the ability to put the hard drive in another system, and I'm unsure if there is something else I can do to check it? I run a business's, and it's vital I have a system up and running ASAP, so this confusion of what to do has me very close to purchasing a new system, which won't be a Mac.

Basically, does this sound like the hdd? Is there anyway of testing this? Does anyone have any other suggestions for how id can proceed in order to get a running system going as quickly as possible? Tia!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A HDD can fail at any moment with little or no warning. If your computer is freezing fairly often that is a sign that the HDD is starting to fail, you have been warned. A startup disk with the ? means the HDD has failed or the OS has got a problem.
Restart the Mac and hold the Option key. This should bring up the Startup Disk. If your HDD is not listed, then it has failed. The other option is to boot from a Mac OSX install disc. Go to the toolbar at the top and Disk Utilities, again if your HDD is not listed, it has failed. If listed, you can Repair Disk Permissions on the drive.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

To add to what Spunk Funk has said...

Since you are able to get into recovery mode and see disk utility.... it sounds like everything else on the system is fine. So it is very likely your issue is just the Hard Drive failed.