Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Firefox won't load

This is a discussion on Firefox won't load within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I run Mac 10.6.8. Firefox crashed spectacularly. I had to restart the machine to get it to stop flashing. I

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I run Mac 10.6.8. Firefox crashed spectacularly. I had to restart the machine to get it to stop flashing. I threw it away and downloaded a new copy. When I open it the error message reads: "Profile missing. Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible." I've done this 4 times and the result is always the same. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

When you "threw it away", you didn't get rid of your FF Profile unless you specifically did so. An option in the old versions of FF was there, but since removed. See: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-124715.html for more info.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This happens when there is a profiles.ini file but the Firefox profile is missing from this file.
Also, the latest Firefox will not install and run properly on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, try an older version Old Version of Firefox for Mac for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) (Intel) Download - OldApps.com for Mac
To access the hidden file where the profile is stored, in Finder/Go/Go To Folder and type ~/Library and press return(the tilda ~ means Hidden) go to Application Support/Firefox/Profiles https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/976402
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
When you "threw it away", you didn't get rid of your FF Profile unless you specifically did so. An option in the old versions of FF was there, but since removed. See: https://www.techsupport11111forum.com...es-124715.html for more info.
Where would I find the Firefox profile?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
To access the hidden file where the profile is stored, in Finder/Go/Go To Folder and type ~/Library and press return(the tilda ~ means Hidden) go to Application Support/Firefox/Profiles https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/976402
you would access the profile in the quote above, follow the instructions in the link. Be sure you have installed FF 37.1 and not any later versions, as those won't work with Snow Leopard.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

I did everything you said. I found the Firefox profiles and trashed them. Then I downloaded an older version of Firefox (37.0.1). Same result I started this thread with.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you followed the instructions in the link, you do not Trash the Proiles folder.
Did you follow the instructions in the link? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/976402
Old 04-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

I either did or I didn't, but I do have Firefox again. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Ok if this solved your problem, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images