Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

External blu ray writer doesn't work!?

This is a discussion on External blu ray writer doesn't work!? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi i bought an external writer for my imac (late 2013) a few months ago. Initially it burnt one or

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi i bought an external writer for my imac (late 2013) a few months ago. Initially it burnt one or two discs. Then it fails twice. I haven't had much time to investigate since but came to try again tonight and it failed again! Discs are expensive and i don't expect this to happen anyway. It came with a usb cable and another one which is usb on one side and goes into a dc 5v input on the drive. It says it is usb 3.0 and apparently had a Panasonic drive inside (i think). I could have a look for the Amazon product page if you need me to?

Anyway does anyone know what is going on? Should i not use the power cable with the USB one?

I include the error notification which came up after it had got to 2% of the burn. I was using toast titanium 12 on el capitan. Also i noticed that the box to run a simulation is greyed out which i thought was strange but I'm not sure if this is normal because it's an external drive? The info for the drive days that it can (test write) which sounds like a simulation mode capability?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1446587232764.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	259874   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1446587436501.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	259882   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1446587488664.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	259890  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You need to use the units power adapter. The USB port will not put out enough power by itself.
Also in the Recorder Settings, choose the Slowest possible write speed for the media This will be the only way to avoid burn fails.
Also, External Blu-Ray burners require a USB 3.0 connection, (blue ends) not the standard USB 2.0 which are far slower.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You need to use the units power adapter. The USB port will not put out enough power by itself.
Also in the Recorder Settings, choose the Slowest possible write speed for the media This will be the only way to avoid burn fails.
Also, External Blu-Ray burners require a USB 3.0 connection, (blue ends) not the standard USB 2.0 which are far slower.
Thanks for the advice. However it is a blue ended usb cable and the other cable that goes to the power is the one it came with that fits from another usb port to a dc 5v port on the burner. The burner claims speeds of 6x writing although i only have 4x discs. If i have to use 2x then is it safe in saying this product is not for for purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

I just looked up usb village and Wikipedia days it carries 5 volts which is the required amount for the burner. I don't get why is dropping out. Not sure if toast isn't up to the job or my imac?
Old 11-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

This is the product i bought :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/271413633753
Old 11-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
External Blu-Ray burners require a USB 3.0 connection, (blue ends) not the standard USB 2.0 which are far slower.
You need a USB 3.0 port on your computer (blue ends) not just from the drive, if you only have the standard USB 2.0 it will be too slow and the burn will fail.
I have found that drives with USB power connections usually do not get enough power from the computer. I have found that a device should have it's own power adapter.
If the software will allow you to burn at 1X you can try that, but again it will fail if you only have USB 2.0 ports.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

My imac only had usb 3 ports so shouldn't be a problem. Can you recommend a power supply for this drive please?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A power adapter for a Panasonic external Blu-Ray player would come from Panasonic. Contact them or ask their support: Support