Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Ext monitor - DVI cable - connect MacBook Air

This is a discussion on Ext monitor - DVI cable - connect MacBook Air within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently bought a basic external monitor (LG) that came with a DVI cable. I was able to hook up

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently bought a basic external monitor (LG) that came with a DVI cable. I was able to hook up this up to the HDMI port of my MacBook Pro 13” (early 2015).

However, when I tried hooking it up to my friend’s MacBook Air (2017) I realised that the Air doesn’t have an HDMI port, and I’ll have to get a connector that has a Thunderbolt port connector at one end.

I looked around on the Apple website and I am not sure which connector to get.
Can you suggest which connector to get - both an expensive one, and a cheaper option from one of the third party manufacturers?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=thunderbolt%20to%20hdmi&cat_id=0&typeahead=thun

These are pretty cheap from Walmart.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired

OS: Mac OS X 10.8.5, MS Win 7 Pro & Ultimate, iOS 9.3.5

My System

Send a message via AIM to sinclair_tm Send a message via MSN to sinclair_tm

Best to use an Apple adaptor as other brands can give you issues. This is the one you need for DVI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclair_tm View Post
Best to use an Apple adaptor as other brands can give you issues. This is the one you need for DVI.
Thanks! I should have asked earlier, but is there some way to connect an HDMI end to the MacBook Air Thunderbolt port? So that the end of the cable coming out of the external monitor is HDMI (male) that goes into an HDMI (female) to Thunderbolt connector.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32mids View Post
These look good, thanks! By the way, do you have experience using these on your own computers? A friend had once had a not very good experience with some third party brands. I would like to get a cheap one, but I don't know which brands are decent quality. And I certainly don't want to damage my machines in any way, or have problems with connections.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You do not need to buy an adapter made from Apple, though it is always a good idea if price is not an issue. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thunderbo...f=nb_sb_noss_2
You will not damage your machine by using an adapter from another manufacturer. The worse case scenario is the resolution might be a little off or the computer won't recognize the adapter. But these cases are very rare.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You do not need to buy an adapter made from Apple, though it is always a good idea if price is not an issue. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thunderbo...f=nb_sb_noss_2
You will not damage your machine by using an adapter from another manufacturer. The worse case scenario is the resolution might be a little off or the computer won't recognize the adapter. But these cases are very rare.
Thanks, this helps!
I should have remembered this earlier, but I got a picture of the monitor and noticed that there also seems to be a VGA (?) port at the back. Can you suggest a cable that has VGA at one end and a Thunderbolt connector at the other? That way I can easily hook up the MacBook Air with the monitor and no dongles will be needed.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75d51378-0e81-4cc3-8f11-01769ffb2ee8.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	322018  
Old 10-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclair_tm View Post
Can you also suggest an Apple cable that connects a VGA (if that is what the port shown in the picture is!) to a Thunderbolt port?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thunderbo...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 10-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Thanks for this! I looked further down the list and also saw this -

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Displa...8-5&ref=sr_1_5

The reviews seem all good, but I am not sure how reliable they are.

Do you or other members have any experience with this UGreen 2-in-1 adapter?

I am thinking why not get an HDMI plus old style VGA adapter in one unit.

I also looked up on Apple but they don't seem to have such an HDMI adapter. Or am I missing something here and there is indeed an Apple adapter (HDMI female to Thunderbolt) for connecting an HDMI cable to the MacBook Air?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

No, Apple does not have such a device, but I have had really good luck with 3rd party devices that I have bought from Amazon.
We all know that all American computer companies buy their parts from China. So, UGreen is a Chinese company, but they do have a web site in English with support which overcomes most of the battle with Chinese companies, so you can buy with confidence.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM_SOS View Post
I recently bought a basic external monitor (LG) that came with a DVI cable. I was able to hook up this up to the HDMI port of my MacBook Pro 13” (early 2015).

However, when I tried hooking it up to my friend’s MacBook Air (2017) I realised that the Air doesn’t have an HDMI port, and I’ll have to get a connector that has a Thunderbolt port connector at one end.

I looked around on the Apple website and I am not sure which connector to get.
Can you suggest which connector to get - both an expensive one, and a cheaper option from one of the third party manufacturers?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Lightning to HDMI cables are available on eBay, Amazon, Best Buy — practically everywhere. My daughter just bought one so she could watch her iPhone movies on her TV.
Closed Thread