Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

El Capitan system folder icons

This is a discussion on El Capitan system folder icons within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Using Mac OS El Capitan, I changed some system folder icons in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources to full-colour folder images. For instance, I

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Using Mac OS El Capitan, I changed some system folder icons in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources to full-colour folder images. For instance, I changed ApplicationsFolderIcon.icns to put a full-colour image on it rather than a silhouette. These images do not appear in the Mac interface. That worked with Mac OS Snow Leopard, but not in El Capitan. Why are the folder images in there if they are not used, and where are the actual system folder images really located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired

OS: Mac OS X 10.8.5, MS Win 7 Pro & Ultimate, iOS 9.3.5

My System

Send a message via AIM to sinclair_tm Send a message via MSN to sinclair_tm

Starting with OS X Lion, Apple caches all the system resources. This was done to prevent messing with and damaging the system (And hence people like you and me making changes to the look and feel of the OS. I would make the About This Mac and other dialog boxes a transparent black, change the default login screen, and also have some custom icons.). I messed with it for a bit but was never able to figure out how to force the OS to reload the resources after I made a change and gave up as a reboot would undo any changes I did make. IMHO, Snow Leopard was the last power user friendly version of OS X.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

With the folders, I found it possible to change them with Get Info, sometimes having to unlock the system folders and allow my user to change the icons, then relocking again. That does not work with sidebar icons, however. The grey icons in the Finder sidebar are apparently not in the caches. I tried deleting the caches from the root library, the system library and my user library, after replacing the grey system icons with full-colour ones in the CoreTypes.bundle, and the grey icons did not go away.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
random blue screen crash
hello i seem to have a graphics card issue and i am not sure how to fix it what happens is the computer will blue screen at any random time and it will say dumping physical memory to disk and will load till it gets to 100% and then i ususly shut it off as it will stay at that screen if i do...
pandasniper100 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 1 12-08-2013 07:32 AM
[SOLVED] BSOD almost every night
I built this box in December and installed W8 on it. IT's fast and never gave me a problem until about 4 weeks ago. Suddenly, almost every night, it crashes and I wake up and see the system is off. I've tired WhoCrashed and got mostly "This was probably caused by the following module: cmudaxp.sys...
pcostanza BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 38 05-20-2013 07:27 PM
help! mixidj on browsers and messing with OS
I just reformated my hard drive. I updated windows 7, then downloaded MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, FF, Spywareblaster, and while downloading peerblock things started to go weird. I got a popup to install realplayer, which I hadn't downloaded and a weird toolbar appeared on my browsers -...
tierra Resolved HJT Threads 73 04-13-2013 09:48 PM
BSOD - Driver Power State Failure
Hello, I am new to this forum, which I found online while searching for a fix to a BSOD I'm repeatedly having. I am hoping someone could help me out because it is getting extremely frustrating. The PC is used as a dedicated media center. So having the system go down multiple times during a...
conecommander BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 4 08-17-2011 08:18 PM
Sound distortions and bad sound quality, but only ingame
Hello, In five out of ten games I play I get crackling sound distortions and overall bad quality. The weird thing is that this does not happen in all games, and never in video's or MP3 playback. I have installed all the drivers from your website, installed the latest DirectX and DirectX 9.0c,...
Mastermind- PC Gaming Support 29 08-04-2011 02:12 PM