Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

El Capitan bricked my Mac

This is a discussion on El Capitan bricked my Mac within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, My friend decided on a whin to upgrade to el capitan and now her computer refuses to start

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,

My friend decided on a whin to upgrade to el capitan and now her computer refuses to start past the loading screen.

This is not my mac but for the purposes of conversation i will refer to it as mine to make things easier.

I dont deal with macs a lot. Im a pc person. Its just who i am. But I wanted take on the
Challenge.

This is a 2011 Macbook pro. So far I was able to remove the HDD and extract all the vital data like documents and pictures. There has never been a time machine backup performed. The first thing I tried was a time machine restore from the restore menu. I tried reinstalling OS X from that same menu using the internet but it kept saying there was no installer information. I found what looks like an installer image on the drive and tried to restore that in place of the current OS and of I get error because you cant wipe the same hdd you are installing from.

I dont have install discs. Ordering a set will take a long time as i am out of the country. I have another mac of the same model, Mac-2. Can I use Mac-2 to install its installer image onto the hdd of Mac-1 ?

Can I extract the installer from Mac-1 onto a usb drive?

Im open to suggestions.

Thanks, -Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

El Capitan or the previous two OS's are free. You can download one of them and to another Mac and create a bootable USB Flash Drive. How to create a bootable OS X El Capitan USB flash drive
Here are other troubleshooting steps to consider: Top 10 Troubleshooting Tips for Mac Startup Problems
Old 03-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Good to know those are free. I ended up performing the internet recovery to install Lion and that took about 15 hours or so but its finished and worked great.

Thanks for the help, -Z
Closed Thread