Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Cleanmymac.online Virus

This is a discussion on Cleanmymac.online Virus within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Let me preface this post by writing that I'm a new Mac user. This "Cleanmymac.online" virus infected my 2014 Mac

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Let me preface this post by writing that I'm a new Mac user. This "Cleanmymac.online" virus infected my 2014 Mac Mini, El Capitan OS, when I clicked on a Adobe Flash Player update popup.

The virus completely overtook my machine. I mistakenly called a listed tech support number and let them remotely access my computer. I realized then I had made a terrible decision. They wanted $350.00 to repair the damage. The same support team was probably responsible for creating the virus.

Other sites mention this virus and recommend various anti-virus software to repair the problem. I had already installed Malwarbytes before getting the Cleanmymac virus and it doesn't recognize the virus.

I'm attaching a link to one of these sites. I want to be assured these anti-virus solutions are safe, effective and legitimate. If anyone has a better solution, please advise.

https://www.securemacos.com/remove-l...s-from-mac-os/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Here's a much better solution.
Read this article…
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...lp-305963.html
follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section of the forum.
(Simply, click on the colored links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware HelpForum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The Malware Removal Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

1. Goto Apple sign - Force quit - quit all applications which you think are unsafe
2. Open any browser - press and hold shift button and open any browser
3. Please goto find - Applications - delete any unwanted programs like cleanmymac
4. Please add add-ons like addblock plus to safari and chrome

I would request you to please donot allow any stranger to log on to your computer because they could be a scam.

any help, please let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The Virus/Malware section of the Forum is usually the best place to start, unfortunately, they are understaffed.
Download and run DetectX https://sqwarq.com/detectx/ If it finds anything, remove the files. This will remove programs like MacKeeper and others.
Then download and run Malwarebytes for Mac Scan and Quarantine.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm assuming you mean I should post the logs using the infected Mac Mini. Is that correct? I should be using the infected machine for all communication regarding the entire cleaning process? No other computer should be used for the procedure?
Old 12-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Correct.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
The Virus/Malware section of the Forum is usually the best place to start, unfortunately, they are understaffed.
Download and run DetectX https://sqwarq.com/detectx/ If it finds anything, remove the files. This will remove programs like MacKeeper and others.
Then download and run Malwarebytes for Mac Scan and Quarantine.
Thanks, spunk.funk;

Everything seems to be up and working correctly. I appreciate your assistance. I posted the same problem on techsupportguy and there were no replies.

Thanks again
Old 01-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I am glad you got it sorted. Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top. If you like, add to my reputation as well.
Attached Images