Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Can't Erase Hard Drive on M5521 iMac

This is a discussion on Can't Erase Hard Drive on M5521 iMac within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm trying to erase the HD on a Summer 2000 iMac. Currently, 2 OSs are contained on the disk -

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm trying to erase the HD on a Summer 2000 iMac. Currently, 2 OSs are contained on the disk - 9.2 and 10.2. This HD is only 7 GBs and I think it needs to be erased to accommodate a 10.4.4 Tiger installation, which is needed for WiFi access.

Problem is, it won't accept the 4 Tiger OS install CDs (It's a CD optical drive only). I've tried to force an erase with no results.

How can this HD be erased without having the option offered on an installation CD?
Also, why won't the installation CDs engage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Can you boot off of the First CD? If so, then go to the Toolbar and the top and choose Disk Utilities. Here you can Delete both partitions then create one large partition and Erase (Format) it HFS+ Journaled then return to the Tiger installer and choose to install to the blank Disk.
If that doesn't work boot from the OSx 10.3 Panther disc and Disk Utilities.
BTW, this OS is so old that you will not be able to go to any Web sites, as the Safari browser for that OS is too old and no other browsers will work either.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

No, it won't boot off of any OS CD. That's the problem.

The optical drive is functional because I've installed WiFi drivers off a CD, so it does work.

I found this in the trash last Wednesday and I've been working on it since. That's why I haven't gotten back to the Alienware M18X-R2. Too many projects (but I love it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4738 (2).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	322892   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4743 (2).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	322894  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

Also, refer to this link concerning compatible Tiger browsers.
OS X 10.4 Tiger Is Still Very Useful | Low End Mac
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can access Disk Utilities while booted into OSX 10.2 by going to Toolbar to Go/Utilities. At that point you can delete the Non used Partition.
Then restart the computer with the OS disc in it, right after the chime, press the C Key. continuously Or hold down the Option Key. If that doesn't work go to the Apple logo on the Upper Left, choose System Preferences/Startup Disk and choose the CD drive as the Startup disk.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

There is no "Disk Utilities" or "Go/Utilities" in 10.2. Nothing comes up when searched, either.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

On the toolbar, click GO then Applications then Utilities then Disk Utilities The Partitions should show up on the Left Side
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas...r.aspx?ID=1362
Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

Those instructions don't apply to this 10.2 OS. There is no "Applications" or "Utilities" folder. Every 10 OS is different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4795 (2).jpg
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	322938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4798 (2).jpg
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	322940  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You are in System Preferences, you will not find it there.
In Finder (see attached)(ie) the regular desktop with no windows open, On the toolbar, click GO then Applications then Utilities then Disk Utilities The Partitions should show up on the Left Side
Or In Finder, click the Spotlight Search bar and type in Disk Utilities, you also can click the Macintosh HDD and Browse to it that way.
If you want to change the Boot order to boot to CD, With the CD in, in System Preferences choose Startup Disk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mac Finder Go.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	322942  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Both "Erase" and "Partition" in "Disk Utilities" are grayed-out and won't activate. A sentence at the bottom of "Partition" Reads: Cannot initialize startup disk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4811 (2).jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	322946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4817 (2).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	322948  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I see only one partition that occupies the whole disk. There is no other unused partition where the second OS installation supposedly is. Have you checked the CDs and confirmed that they are readable before trying to boot from them? I would try to make images of the CDs to see if there are any read errors as a result of scratches. They surely must be old.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

The CDs were just unzipped and burned from the linked site. I'm in contact with someone who just burned the same Tiger CDs from this site and he said they copied to his HD without issues.

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc

I've accessed both OS 9.2 (original factory install) and OS 10.2. I've used both OSs on this computer.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanman View Post
The CDs were just unzipped and burned from the linked site. I'm in contact with someone who just burned the same Tiger CDs from this site and he said they copied to his HD without issues.

I've accessed both OS 9.2 (original factory install) and OS 10.2. I've used both OSs on this computer.
Both OS, according to the pdf on the link you posted, can be installed on the same partition as long as the partition is HFS Plus formatted. That must be the case here. While running 10.2, is the Tiger cd loaded successfully such that you're able to browse its contents? That PDF also explains how to start the installation, I'm assuming you've actually read and followed it keenly.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:

The zip files contain .toast image files. How exactly did you burn them to cd?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

The Tiger CD didn't load successfully and I couldn't browse its contents.

I unzipped and burned all 4 files using CyberLink Power2Go 11.

After reading macintoshgarden's guide, I see they're recommending "Stuffit Expander 5.5". Should I download this and try unzipping with this program?

Incidentally, I unzipped another one of the CDs using the Stuffit program on the M5521. It took 40 minutes to unzip and afterwards, didn't install either. So, one of the files was actually unzipped on the old Mac, itself.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As stated, there is only 1 partition on the computer with Mac OSX 10.2 on it which the computer is booted into, that is why you can't Erase it.
The Tiger disc, should be a DVD not a CD.
To burn the Tiger disc, you need a .dmg file which is a Mac OS Image File. this can only be opened on a Mac. Using Disk Utilities, you can Burn the .dmg file to a DVD. But the iMac probably doesn't have a Super Drive (ie) DVD Burner. so it would be best to burn it on another Mac.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...er-dvd.123353/
Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

Will this differ from the original factory 10.4.4, Tiger DVD that I've already tried installing without success?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to the Apple Logo on the upper left of the toolbar, click About This Mac, Click More Info scroll down to CD/DVD drive, make sure the drive in the computer is a combo CD/DVD drive, it may only be a CD Burner/Reader. In which case it won't open your Tiger DVD.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
The Tiger CD didn't load successfully and I couldn't browse its contents.

I unzipped and burned all 4 files using CyberLink Power2Go 11.
The CD drive is probably defective or the CD did not burn properly. The .toast image was created using Roxio Toast on Mac OS and the same program and OS should be used to burn it to CD. Tiger is also available in a set of 4 CDs, whose images you've already downloaded from that site. You just need to burn them in the right way, i.e using Toast and burning at the slowest speed supported by the CD-R media you're using. If done correctly, CD 1 should be loaded and usable as a startup disc, i.e it will be bootable. If the CD drive is also a CD writer, you can use it to burn the toast images after you buy and install Toast on the currently booting 10.2. If the drive is failing, you'll have to replace it with another IDE DVD writer.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #20
Registered Member

I'm referring to the M5521. It only has its original CD reader.
Closed Thread