Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Cannot access hard disk in recovery

This is a discussion on Cannot access hard disk in recovery within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have a macbook pro retina 2014 with Yosemite. I wanted to allocate a part of the HD to

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I have a macbook pro retina 2014 with Yosemite. I wanted to allocate a part of the HD to Windows using bootcamp. That didn't go smoothly and I rebooted in recovery after making a back up using Time Machine. In Disk Utility I clicked on 'repair data' under 'first aid' after selecting Macintosh hard disk as I read that this would enable me to do a clean split of the HD after the reboot. After that, I used the 'restore from time machine backup' option. My mac is able to find the backup (which i saved on an external usb) but cannot find the harddisk anymore. It unsuccessfuly keeps on searching for a destination disk. Does anyone know how to enable mac to 'find' the hard disk? Did I remove this link by repairing the data?

As I got stuck I wanted to reinstall OSX (i have no DVD so downloading through internet) but I can't install it on the hard disk because it's locked. I've read online that I can unlock the hard disk by using the partition option under Disk Utility but all buttons (eg options or partionion layout) are grey.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the Mac HDD shows up in Disk Utilities on the left panel, highlight it Under First Aid Repair the Permissions. Then Verify Disk.
If you still have problems, download Disk Warrior and create a Bootable CD. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Diagnostic.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
If the Mac HDD shows up in Disk Utilities on the left panel, highlight it Under First Aid Repair the Permissions. Then Verify Disk.
If you still have problems, download Disk Warrior and create a Bootable CD. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Diagnostic.
I can see Mac HD at the left but there is no line below it (maybe the HD's should be listed under Mac HD). Anyway I cant select repair the permissions because it is grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

btw, I tried to unlock my hard disk using the terminal

It doesn't recognise the command sudo, or even when i type /usr/bin/sudo I get the message 'no such file or directory'

I don't think this is a good sign
Old 09-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

No, this isn't a good sign. On another Mac, download Disk Warrior of Onyx. Create a bootable CD or USB with either program and boot from the media and run the Diagnostic tests on the HDD.