Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Buy iPhone 7 or 8 ?

This is a discussion on Buy iPhone 7 or 8 ? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. #1 (1) Iíve noticed for some time that Cricket has been offering really good iPhones deal. Some months ago the

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

(1) Iíve noticed for some time that Cricket has been offering really good iPhones deal. Some months ago the 7 was going for more than $400 but today I saw that theyíre giving it out for 300 !

Unfortunately, the 8 is $600.

So, how is Cricket able to offer such good deals on new iPhones (upgrades and not just new connections)?

(2) Since I really like the smaller form factor of the pre-iPhone X models, I am thinking of getting the iPhone 7 and using it with my Cricket connection. After 6 months I'll get it unlocked and can use it for my international travel.

My requirements are basic - emailing, messaging, browsing, calling, video chat, and using the camera in good light. Having the phone last for the next 3 years is important. The iPhone 7 was released in 2016 and should just about make it to the end of the update cycle in 2021.

The 8 is too expensive for me, and its camera is probably not much better than the 7. Besides, the processor in the 7 was a big jump from earlier ones and should last the distance.

Is the iPhone 7 deal perfect for me or am I making a mistake by not getting the iPhone 8?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The 7 will satisfy most needs. It's one of the reasons that the X isn't flying off the shelf. The difference doesn't begin to warrant the price spread. As far as the 8 goes, if it was $50 more, I'd say buy it. Even for $100 more, it's not worth it

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
The 7 will satisfy most needs. It's one of the reasons that the X isn't flying off the shelf. The difference doesn't begin to warrant the price spread. As far as the 8 goes, if it was $50 more, I'd say buy it. Even for $100 more, it's not worth it
Thanks. That's exactly how I thought. And to think that in this case I am getting the 7 for 299 versus the 8 for 599. That's double the cost!

Btw, I am hearing talk of how "heavy" iOS 14 and on will be. Apparently, this will make the 7 slow down considerably.

However, from what I have seen with iOS 12, a) Apple seems committed to ensuring older devices work well with the latest iOS, and

b) iOS already has nice 3 dimensional graphics so what will they do with iOS 14 and on that will really tax the processor/RAM of the 7 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM_SOS View Post

b) iOS already has nice 3 dimensional graphics so what will they do with iOS 14 and on that will really tax the processor/RAM of the 7 ?
Too early to be concerned.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread