Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

4k monitor resolution problems!

This is a discussion on 4k monitor resolution problems! within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi i recently purchased the LG27UK850-W for my MBP2018 that runs Catalina 10.15.3 i am failing to get a 60

Old 04-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi i recently purchased the LG27UK850-W for my MBP2018
that runs Catalina 10.15.3
i am failing to get a 60 Hz 4k display.via USB-C

on the left side thunderbolt usb-c ports
-i get under scan that doesn't seem editable in preferences
-a 60Hz refresh rate

forcing on this side leads to blur and reduced Hz
On the right thunderbolt usb-c ports
-i get no under scan
-30 Hz refresh rate

i am in a trial period for SwitchResX where i am able to force 4k with 60Hz BUT i get very blurry UI and texts
( see attached image)

my option seems to be to live with an under scan but i will NOT

IN SHORT- display runs 4k 60Hz with blurry text and ui, but it runs 4k 30Hz just fine

i just bought a thunderbolt 3 wire

and a usb-c to display port wire

they seem to have different affects on the display but the probhlem still persists
spicgonewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

Just wondering why you are not using the Hdmi ports? I use a 4k tv and hmdi cable to my box and it works fine 4k. not really used the c-ports as was for charging phones and usb ports for connecting usb flash drives etc.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

The monitor's true resolution is UHD, not 4K. Make sure to use the UHD resolution 3840 x 2160. I'd also use straight hdmi.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
The monitor's true resolution is UHD, not 4K. Make sure to use the UHD resolution 3840 x 2160. I'd also use straight hdmi.
i got it working at that exact resolution including 60 Hz, which i think is 4k too. the way i got it working was using usb-c to display port wire. then i used a thunderbolt 3 usb-c from the monitor to MBP. the second wire powers the laptop while the first just transfers the image. Power is needed because the MBP doesn't give a display if it does not have a power source. the original charger didnt work for this combination, and i am assuming this is because TB3 wires are able to supply 100 W of power.

right now im looking to display and power with just the usb-c thunderbolt 3 wire, but that wire has the blurry text problem at 3840x2160 60Hz

perhaps it is power management issue ?
Old 04-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

also the MBP 2018 only has usb-c ports. i have a dongle with an hdmi but it wasnt advertised to be 4k. ill give it a shot though.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32mids View Post
Just wondering why you are not using the Hdmi ports? I use a 4k tv and hmdi cable to my box and it works fine 4k. not really used the c-ports as was for charging phones and usb ports for connecting usb flash drives etc.
well with Thunder Bolt 3 the MBP 18 is known to be able to deliver display with UBC-c
and while the monitor isnt TB3 enabled i think the power delivery of a TB3 wire helped efficiently

it can deliver 4k with 30Hz and 60Hz but it gives the blurry text and UI :(

i got it working at that exact resolution including 60 Hz, which i think is 4k too. the way i got it working was using usb-c to display port wire. then i used a thunderbolt 3 usb-c from the monitor to MBP. the second wire powers the laptop while the first just transfers the image. Power is needed because the MBP doesn't give a display if it does not have a power source. the original charger didnt work for this combination, and i am assuming this is because TB3 wires are able to supply 100 W of power.

right now im looking to display and power with just the usb-c thunderbolt 3 wire, but that wire has the blurry text problem at 3840x2160 60Hz

perhaps it is power management issue ?