Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Windows To Go" like feature for Linux?

SOLVED 
983 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kendallt 
#1 ·
My PC currently looks like:

Is there a feature like "Windows To Go" for linux?

Windows To Go explained: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go

I'm considering installing Linux to the secondary volume (D).

Is there a way to install Ubuntu or similar to that drive without affecting the bootloader for Windows 10?

See less See more
#2 ·
Disconnect the C drive leaving the D connected. Boot to linux install media and install to D, reconnect the C drive and press F12 to select the boot drive.

Using two drives is the best way to dual boot (my opinion anyway). If anything happens to one drive you always have the other drive to boot into and attempt recovery/repair etc. using the typical boot loader, all the necessary files are on one drive so if the boot loader or MBR on that drives get messed up, that second OS can't be reached either.

A search for portable linux will bring up many ways to install linux to a flash drive that gives you a 'portable' installation.

#3 ·
I have always been of the mindset that if you leave everything plugged in and are careful with where you install Linux then you should be okay. I have had trouble in the past with disconnecting a hdd and then reconnecting them. Especially when it comes to boot loaders. For windows this isn't an issue just run a couple of commands and presto your fixed. With linux it is normally the same, but if you run into a real problem when getting windows to boot again can be a problem.

I would say just be careful and pay attention and you will be fine when you install linux.

#5 ·
Yes, each drive will have it's own boot loader. You can remove either drive from the computer and still boot right into the other.

For convenience, place the OS you use most on the primary sata port (port 0), that way you only have to choose when you want the other OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.