Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Linux Support

User Tag List

Qubes OS/Alternative to W7

This is a discussion on Qubes OS/Alternative to W7 within the Linux Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello guys. Microsoft has ended support for W7. The OS I am considering for Installation is Qubes. Has anyone ever

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AtlBo

Old 01-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello guys.

Microsoft has ended support for W7.

The OS I am considering for Installation is Qubes.

Has anyone ever used it, and can advise on its use, please ?.

Thank you.
Listone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Any reason not to get the free upgrade to Windows 10?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

^^ Too many to go into. I'd like to avoid M$ entirely if possible. As to the question at hand ... does it work? It is easy to adapt to for Win7 users? Networking?
Confounded Also is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

I know nothing about Qubes, but do know Linux Mint, which tends to make for an easy transition for former Windows users.

I would still do the free upgrade to Windows 10 even if your intention is to go to Linux. It never hurts to have that license established for your machine should you ever change your mind, and it's so easy to do the upgrade. You can "nuke and pave" over it with the Linux distro of your choice, preserving the option to go back at any time were you to choose to do so.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you for all comments.

I upgraded to W10 on a Laptop a good while ago.

Did not know I could still get a free W10 upgrade.

Still want to try Linux. So I will Install Linux Mint on the Desktop which is HP Workstation 232GB.

Will need to find how to Linux/W10 on the same Hard Drive
Old 01-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

You can dual (or multi, if there are more than two) boot OSes.

There are lots of tutorials out there on setting up a boot manager. If you're thinking of Linux in the mix, it's worth looking at grub. See the article, How to Configure the GRUB2 Boot Loader's Settings, for starters.

You can definitely still do a W7 to W10 in-place upgrade for free. See the instructions: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file. The steps are exactly the same for an in-place upgrade. The only difference is the Windows OS you start the procedure under happens to be Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 rather than an existing Windows 10 instance.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

It will be best to us a live version until you find one that meets your needs. You can also duel boot.
bobyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:54 AM   #8
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (KDE 4.14), Debian 8, Arch. Languages: Python3, Javascript, CSS3, HTML, Bash

My System

If you look at distrowatch, you'll see the most popular linux distros in order by forum activity. Qubes is down at #62, so if you want software thats not in the repo's., you could be waiting a long time.

It may be better to look through distrowatch, asthere are screenshots and bersion numbers of most commonly used software.

Also, it may be better to try it from a live CD or USB flash drive if youve not used linux before.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
Security Team

Qubes is essentially an OS for people with a specific need to be "secure", which it does by using virtualisation to separate accounts, so that any account that is compromised is not able to compromise any of the other accounts.

If you want to know more, I suggest you view ...

If you're new to Linux however, then it is not really the OS for you, and I too would recommend you look at something like Linux Mint, which most long time Windows users usually adapt to more easily than many of the other Linux distros.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:56 AM   #10
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

Agree with Gary, Qubes is great if you deal with a lot of sketchy files like a pen-tester since each container/VM is isolated and runs it's own space... But for regular daily usage, it really is not that great.. At some point it's going to start getting tedious...

I'd probably go with Manjaro or MXLinux, they run pretty stable with not a lot of maintenance... In fact Manjaro has probably been one of the best Linux distros I've ever used, super stable and trouble free..

And if you create your /home in a separate partition of it's own and you can keep replacing distros on the fly with your app settings, config and files intact...

A friend wanted to see which distro works best for her, I tried around 15 different distros in 3 days easily without her losing any data or customization by keeping the /home in it's own partition... Use this to keep testing the distros until you try one that you like...

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hi Listone

Any particular reason for using Qubes? Have you considered Ubuntu or Ubuntu Mate? Of course, we will punt our favourites
tuxtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
^^ Too many to go into. I'd like to avoid M$ entirely if possible. As to the question at hand ... does it work? It is easy to adapt to for Win7 users? Networking?
You are right, on Jan 14 my W7 became invalidated and will not validate now!
cold iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listone View Post
Hello guys.

Microsoft has ended support for W7.

The OS I am considering for Installation is Qubes.

Has anyone ever used it, and can advise on its use, please ?.

Thank you.
There is a Linux OS called "Mist cinnamon" 19.3 is the newest. it's the closest to Windows I have seen. It's free and easy to install and use.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #14
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold iron View Post
You are right, on Jan 14 my W7 became invalidated and will not validate now!
Which is what happens at end of life and end of support for any operating system.

You can still follow these instructions and get a no-cost in-place upgrade to Windows 10: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file or just go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page and use the Update now button.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listone View Post
Will need to find how to Linux/W10 on the same Hard Drive
I've been using Linux since 1999, and on some of my machines, I dual boot with Win10 Pro. As you are wanting to dual boot, be advised to install Windows first, and then Linux. Afterwards, upon booting up, you get the choice, on your screen, which OS to boot into. Also, let me suggest Linux Mint,19.3, with the MATE desktop.
tosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #16
Registered Member

Listone...if you really despise Windows 10, then Linux is there and it's good enough. Only trouble is it's work. I tested Ubuntu ages ago and then Mint 4-5 years ago, but recently decided to go with Manjaro KDE. This I would say. If you are going to go Linux, prepare for a culture shock. Eventually, you will realize that you can do everything you did and better, but there aren't, for example, 100 backup program options like with Windows.

If you go, go ALL out. Manjaro, if you can stand the small and medium size headaches, updates on a regular basis. It's a rolling release like Windows. This means you get the latest, but also there are risks that it may brick the PC. Hasn't happened to me, but I haven't yet either fallen into Linux command line over kernel. It's been gradual for me. I say rolling updates or nothing for me on the updates. Don't like the idea of a reinstall every 6 months or whatever.

For the record, adopting Linux means gone are all the windows admin tools. Nothing is the same. Connecting to the internet is different, and graphics can be a little bit of a challenge. It's the same way almost across the board with the OS. Installing packages instead of programs has to be learned. Finally, finding help is not as easy as it is stated to be, although there is good help out there if one is determined enough and thick skinned enough. In the end, and this is the great part...the OS is actually, even out of the box, way tighter, cleaner, and better written than Windows imo. It takes a couple of months to really see this, especially when you see how miserly Linux is with resources :). The KDE desktop environment has widgets btw with many, many cool desktop tools.

Chris Titus on youtube is a great source. He took the dive about a year and a half ago, and he is sensitive to noob and expert issues alike, being an IT manager for a living. BTW, Linux is really coming on crazy fast with games and the like and driver issues. It's very good with both of these now. The last two years seem to have been extraordinary for the program and I'm not seeing the end at least if it is there...
satrow likes this.
AtlBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
Registered Member

I upgraded one of my laptops from Win7 to Win10 FREE.
One of the others has been running Linux Mint MATE x64 for many years, flawless.
The other 3 have been running Linux Mint Cinnamon x64 for many years, flawless.

Linux Mint is the perfect solution for those wanting to get rid of Windows. It's easy, quick-learned, and fast. Super-easy for Windows users. We all love it.

I have tried many, many Linux OSs over the years, and Linux Mint is perfect for me, and for many others that I have installed for them, either on laptops or desktops.
DeadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to get another machine. Install Linux, and try out some of the Distros you guys have advised. Superb. Brilliant.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #19
Registered Member

SEEMS I DID A TYPO, it's not Mist...it's Mint. Sorry.