Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Linux Support

User Tag List

EFI System Partition

This is a discussion on EFI System Partition within the Linux Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been trying to install Linuxmint Mate 19.3 as a dual OS on my Dell Optiplex 9010 running Windows

Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have been trying to install Linuxmint Mate 19.3 as a dual OS on my Dell Optiplex 9010 running Windows 10 Ult, but the installer tells me there is no EFI Sys Partition and won't go any further. The installer installed it perfectly ok on my Laptop which has got an EFI System Partition. I have attached a screenshot of the HDD from PartitionMaster and one from Windows Disk Management for your info. Can you explain in layman's terms how to add the partition without disturbing anything. I have got Partitionmaster Pro or Windows Disk Management. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers rexghockey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DM C.png
Views:	5
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	325840   Click image for larger version

Name:	PM C.png
Views:	7
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	325842  
rexghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

Your boot partition is formatted MBR (Master Boot Record), and if you are installing something that is EFI and does not support legacy booting (Windows does) that partition must be formatted GPT.

I presume you mean Windows 10 Pro, as there is no Ultimate.

If you are starting from scratch for both OSes, I'd advise you to follow the directions for Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File
or
Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive,
take your pick, then moving on to the Linux install. The instructions I give above include reformatting to GPT on systems that have UEFI so that you do not need to use any legacy mode boot.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

If you'd rather not start from scratch, boot from the Linux Mint media in legacy mode. UEFI installs require a GPT drive, but your OS drive is MBR partitioned, so it will only work with legacy mode installs.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks Brian for your time and advice.

Cheers rexghockey
rexghockey is offline   Reply With Quote