Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

User Tag List

Need help with video lag issue on Secondary monitor while gaming on Primary

This is a discussion on Need help with video lag issue on Secondary monitor while gaming on Primary within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, first off I'm new to this forum and I'm coming here as a last resort to try to

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone, first off I'm new to this forum and I'm coming here as a last resort to try to figure out this issue. I have a custom PC I built in May 2013 that has all the bells and whistles. One disconcerting and rather annoying thing that happens is that while I'm gaming on my Primary monitor and viewing a video (youtube or twitch TV) on the secondary, then the video starts to lag and stutter immediately when I open the game. It occurs when I play Starcraft II and Diablo III. But not XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I have not tried other games. But my impression is that the more demanding games are causing this issue (I think).

I'm not THAT experienced with computers. I mean, I built my own. I understand basic terms. I can generally figure ***** out. But I'm not an expert. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Here is the complete breakdown of my computer:

GPU (have never overclocked)

Model: Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Driver Version: 13.152.1.8000

Catalyst Version: 13.9

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version: 2013.1009.932.15229

Driver Packaging Version 13.152.1.8-131008a-163824C-ATI

Operating System

Windows 8 (64-bit)

Starcraft 2

-Graphic settings all on Ultra

-Anti-aliasing and Vertical Sync are activated

-Game is updated to latest patch

-DirectX 11 installed

Power Supply

-Corsair HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

100 - 240 V 47 - 63 Hz

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

HX Series HX750 Power Supply — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Modular PSU - HX Series - Power Supply Units

Display Devices

Dual ASUS PB238Q Monitors

Primary connected to GPU via DIVX cable

Secondary connect to motherboard via DIVX cable

*I have tried connecting secondary to the GPU using an HDMI cable. The video lag issue still occurs. I have also tried swapping the primary and secondary monitors and swapping the cables as well.

CPU (no overclocking ever performed)

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz Ivy Bridge Socket 1155 LGA

4 Cores, 4 Threads

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H rev. 1.1

BIOS Version: F18

Memory

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4 GB) 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3

Timing 9-9-9-24

Storage

Bootable SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 120 GB

Secondary HDD: Western Digital Black 1 TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD1002FAEX - OEM

Case

Cooler Master 932 HAF Full Tower with 4 fans

Additional Hardware/Software

Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard

Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse

Buffalo HD-W10TIU2/RI External Hardrive (not always on)

iPhone 4 and iPhone 5S

Steam (Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, The Walking Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands 2)

Origin: Crysis 3, Simcity

Norton Internet Security version 20.4.0.40

iTunes 11.2.1

Google Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101 m

Additional Details

-I have performed CCleaner to clean registry.

-Tried updating to Windows 8.1 but failed at 81%. Had to perform system restore (this was a few days ago). The problem had been occuring way before this however.

-My windows updates is another issue. My computer continually checks and finds windows updates every 2 days or so. And tells me I need to install them. Some of the updates fail during installation. I have called Microsoft about this. But they want $100 to fix the issue (which is SUCH ******** because basically it's their damn windows that's broken...but my warranty was up after only 30 days??? *** don't they have enough money? I digress...). Anyhow, I have tried Microsofts update troubleshooter/automated fixer. Didn't work. I currently have updates disabled since it will just keep on reinstalling the same updates over and over. I may just have to pay Microsoft their stupid money unless anyone here has any bright ideas. Better yet, could tell me if this issue is somehow related to the one above.

If you've read this far you are very kind. I look forward to your reply.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

I am not really surprised by this behaviour. When you say..

Quote:
I have not tried other games. But my impression is that the more demanding games are causing this issue (I think).
I think your are very close to the truth if not completely correct. (though I can't say this with any certainty).

My last card was a GTX470 which ran all my games quite nicely in a dual monitor setup, but my tv card (... yes I would sometimes watch tv while gaming) would just freeze when I played any game though sound was always fine.

I never looked into this and just accepted it as normal occurance becasue of the demands of the game, and of course the visuals would spring back to life once the game stopped.

Some with more knowledge on graphics card specifics can probably give you a difinitive answer. I would be inclined to point you to the actual ATI/Radeon or NVidia forum for this one. They have more information on the specific intricacies of graphic card operation.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried to reproduce the issue by running different games. The results were basically the same, except DOS type games (i.e. original XCOM, Masters of Magic).

I posted this issue on the AMD Support Forums in October, 2013 and only one person gave me a response. He/she said to try disabling Hardware Acceleration in the browser. Which did not work.

I then tried Gigabyte email support. They said to first try eliminating any conflicting hardware issues by re-installing the OS and running the bare minimum of hardware:

"If you attempt to reload the OS off an clean installation and isolate only just
the bare minimal hardware install does it exhibit the same issue.
- cpu along with heatsinkfan
- single stick of memory
- onboard video
- single hdd and optical drive

Test with onboard video without any cards connected and check the results first."

I haven't tried this yet. I need a free weekend since it's somewhat time consuming. I need to back up my data too. I'd like to avoid having to do this if I don't have to. A hardware conflict would be really disappointing since I did lots of research before I built this computer and I had others check my setup before I bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

I'm still not convinced this is actually a fault. If you haven't had much luck with the forums you could try emailing/contacting ATI directly. I'm sure they will have a 'contact us' facility where your issue can be routed to the tech dept.
Closed Thread