Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

User Tag List

Laptop with pretty good specs giving bad results

This is a discussion on Laptop with pretty good specs giving bad results within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone! TL;DR - My laptops specs aren't too bad performance wise, but I'm still not getting much out of

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone!

TL;DR - My laptops specs aren't too bad performance wise, but I'm still not getting much out of games.

So I wouldn't say I'm a PC tech guru but I have a small bit of general knowledge on quality of hardware, how to use it effectively, and etc. However, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why my new laptop isn't quite performing as I expected. I seem to not be able to play many modern games, i.e. Splinter Cell Blacklist, The Forest, Far Cry 3, without either turning settings all the way down or dealing with very bad FPS. I've listed my specs below.

CPU: Intel i7-4500U @ 1.80 GHz 2.40 ghz
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics Family AND nVidia Geforce GT 745m

Things I've tried:

I've followed ALL the instructions in this forum to tweak your PC settings for ideal gaming performance and noticed just a small bit of an increase.

I've set the nVidia control panel settings to let the application decide, and on best performance, as well as the Intel Control Panel.

I've run Far Cry 3 on DirectX 9 and saw a big increase in performance.

I've tried my hand at overclocking with EVGA Precision X but I am a bit timid as to how much to increase both clocks, and so far have yet to see a big performance increase.

Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

Install directX 11...then try
Old 07-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshekhar1992 View Post
Install directX 11...then try
I of course have already done this. Checked, rather, because any system with nVidia and Windows 8 will have DirectX 11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It probably has something to do with heat. Do you have laptop cooler you could use?

Can you post your temperatures during idling and 10 mins after the game is running with HWMonitor.
HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

More likely to do with running games on the low voltage version of an i7, it probably has low voltage ram too.
A GT 745m isn't comparable to a desktop GTX 745, they are clocked lower too.
Closed Thread