Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > PC Gaming Support

User Tag List

How to I run Mods with a game purchased on Steam?

This is a discussion on How to I run Mods with a game purchased on Steam? within the PC Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm having trouble running mods with my Steam version of Act of War: High Treason. Whenever I install/run a mod,

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm having trouble running mods with my Steam version of Act of War: High Treason. Whenever I install/run a mod, the game will run but the mod will not.

I've noticed that the mods are located in a different directory in the Start menu, so this may have something to do with it - ex. for AoW HT mods, they show up under - "Start - Atari - Act of War: High Treason - Mods".

However the Steam version of AOW HT appears under "Start - Steam - Act of War: High Treason".

Is there any workaround to get mods running on a Steam game. I'm disappointed and thinking of just purchasing the CD version at this point despite having wasted 20$ already (given the other glitches with the Steam version of the game, such as the retail patch for Act of War causing the game to no longer run).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

What type of mod is it? a complete overhaul or a little change?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
What type of mod is it? a complete overhaul or a little change?
Small changes. The retail version of Act of War High Treason included naval units, but there was no AI support for them so they were only available in multiplayer.

The mod I'm trying to install ads AI support for naval units and allows them for use in single player skirmish mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Vista Home Premium sp2, Ubuntu desktop 10.10, puppy linux, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My System

Steam games should in theory be the same as retail games, you may have to direct any mod installers to the steam installation e.g C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ common\ gamename.

How does the mod work? (e.g files in program files or an installer), it may be different.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 7, Mac OSX Lion, Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Some game mods such as Skyrim are officially supported by the Steam Workshop, in which they are filtered and they install themselves. Others, you may have to do it yourself by manually placing files in certain folders and such. As far as I know it is possible to mod games on Steam, as I have done so for Garry's Mod and L4D2. However, it won't let you use or install mods which can affect the multiplayer portion of the game, unless a certain server supports it.

Closed Thread