Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

User Tag List

Word print out different from print preview

This is a discussion on Word print out different from print preview within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all After I've done a Word document with a copy and paste images, everything looks in order in Print

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all

After I've done a Word document with a copy and paste images, everything looks in order in Print preview...size of image.

However, when I proceed to print, the copy comes out with the image cropped, text is in order though.... Kindly help me understand and do it right. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

How to Retain Formatting While Copy-Paste in Word

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Corday

My Word does not have that colourful Office button/icon.

I'm using Office 2010. The first icon is W, Word.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2shaw View Post
Hi all

After I've done a Word document with a copy and paste images, everything looks in order in Print preview...size of image.

However, when I proceed to print, the copy comes out with the image cropped, text is in order though.... Kindly help me understand and do it right. Thank you.
The image could be wider than the documents paper size (width) and extends beyond the margins. You could try using narrow margins, but that may not help if the image is still wider than that.
You could also set paper scaling to "fit to printer margins" from the printer's properties dialog. Yours may be worded differently, often in a section labelled "finishing" or "layout".
Your other option is to resize the image until its width fits within the document's margins. Hold Shift while dragging a corner of the image to maintain its aspect ratio (proportions).
Old 10-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Corday

OK...I found the function in office 2010. Thanks
Old 10-30-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Stancestans

I copy and paste it onto Word, re size it smaller. It looks in order in print preview.

It's usually a small image, less than half the size of a credit card. The right and bottom sides are always chopped off. Text is fine as per print preview.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If the image is too close to the page edge, it will be cropped unless your printer can do full-bleed prints - few can - in which case it's not a Word problem; it's a hardware problem.

Cheers,
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)
Old 10-31-2015, 02:36 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Hi Stancestans

I copy and paste it onto Word, re size it smaller. It looks in order in print preview.

It's usually a small image, less than half the size of a credit card. The right and bottom sides are always chopped off. Text is fine as per print preview.
You can easily test if it's a word problem or printer issue by printing it using a virtual pdf printer or the xps writer. If the image is still cropped, then it's a word problem and not a printer-specific issue.

If closeness to the edge of the paper is the cause, centering the image should fix it, assuming the image is not in line with text.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

The image and text are all within the margins. When I copy the image, the original size is too big for my purpose, so I reduce it to a smaller size. In print preview, the image looks reduced to scale and the text, everything is in order.

However, the print out's text looks as in print preview but the image is cropped, the size is reduced but the image is not to scale, the right side and bottom is cropped.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi Stancestans

Following your suggestion....I just realized that by using PDF printer, it actually converts the word document into a PDF document...it printed out fine. Thank you so much!!!!

The XPS writer does not work. a pop up appears, asking me to save the document and nothing happens when i click save.. the pop up window does not close.

By the way....does that mean that there's something wrong with my word software or???? So I'll have to convert all my documents to pdf to get the image right?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

After a long wait, Windows10 has a print to PDF feature that didn't exist in previous versions.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Hi Stancestans

Following your suggestion....I just realized that by using PDF printer, it actually converts the word document into a PDF document...it printed out fine. Thank you so much!!!!
Yeah, a PDF printer generates a PDF document from almost, if not all programs that can print. Since Office 2007 there has been an "save as pdf" add-in/function that does the same thing, and is accessible from the "Save as" dialog.

Quote:
The XPS writer does not work. a pop up appears, asking me to save the document and nothing happens when i click save.. the pop up window does not close.
Something is probably broken and may need repairing/reinstalling the XPS package/components.

Quote:
By the way....does that mean that there's something wrong with my word software or???? So I'll have to convert all my documents to pdf to get the image right?
I believe this is a printer issue that affects certain HP printers as discussed on this thread, something to do with HP Software being picky about printing inserted images, particularly jpeg images with bad headers. The fix seems to be repairing the jpeg file header by saving it afresh, from an image editor like MS paint. Simply paste the image into paint and save it, then insert it into Word.

Alternatively, instead of copy pasting from the webpages, try saving/downloading the image by right-clicking and selecting "save as image" then inserting it into Word. If this fixes the issue then you don't have to convert to pdf every time.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #13
Registered Member

Hi all

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:35 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hi Stancestans

Thanks so much for all your detail help. I appreciate it very much. Look forward to your help on some other things I will be posting. Thanks.
Closed Thread