Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

User Tag List

what to use when word expires

This is a discussion on what to use when word expires within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I keep getting notices that my version of MS Office is expiring and I only use Word. I don't want

Old 01-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I keep getting notices that my version of MS Office is expiring and I only use Word.

I don't want to use any web-based programs but have limited income so don't want to spend money I don't have for new program.

I thought I could get a new version of Office from the University; however, they stopped giving retirees free Office.

I use several of my documents all the time so would need something that I can still use my Word documents.
tierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Libre Office works well and will open and edit MS Word docs.> https://www.libreoffice.org/

Also in the running is Apache Open Office> https://download.cnet.com/Apache-Ope...-10263109.html
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:19 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP

DO be aware that 100% compatibility with Word is only achieved using Word. For example, none of the alternative word processors handle Word's fields very well and none supports macros. And, if you're trying to convert between their native odt format and Word's docx format, there's a wide range of other limitations. See: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-5efb57aebfdc

Legit copies of Word/Office are readily available 2nd-hand at quite reasonable prices. Go for Word 2010 & later.

Or, if you're only doing very basic stuff, you might find WordPad, which comes with Windows, meets your needs.

Cheers,
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)
macropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Thank you -- Wrench97! I'll check them out.

Thank you -- macropod! Where would I get second hand copy of Word (it's 2010 that's expiring -- so would need later than that)? WordPad is too basic for my needs.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Your 2010 isn't exactly expiring. It just won't get updates after October 13, 2020. You can continue to use it as many people continue to use 2003 and 2007. I thought you meant a trial version of Office which is installed on a new computer or downloaded to try out.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
Legit copies of Word/Office are readily available 2nd-hand at quite reasonable prices. Go for Word 2010 & later.
I'd revise that to 2013, or ideally 2016, or later. 2010 is just about to, or just has, fallen out of support.

With the advent of the grey market in the EU, which is legal, the reselling of licenses from decommissioned hardware has become not just a cottage industry (which does exist), but big business, too.

All of my licenses for Office on all of my machines, all of which now use Office 2016, were sourced from the grey market.

There is also, for those who want the most "Word-like" alternative to actual Word, Softmaker Office Free. Their word processor (and other applications) are as close in look and feel to MS-Office as any alternative I've ever tried.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
I'd revise that to 2013, or ideally 2016, or later. 2010 is just about to, or just has, fallen out of support.
Whether Office 2010 is or has "fallen out of support" is irrelevant. It'll continue working for as long as there is hardware and an operating system that supports it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
With the advent of the grey market in the EU, which is legal, the reselling of licenses from decommissioned hardware has become not just a cottage industry (which does exist), but big business, too.
Grey-marketing has nothing to do with this. There is certainly a 'cottage industry' of people re-selling OEM copies of Office with various pieces of hardware, but that doesn't make it legitimate or legal. There are also people out there re-selling 'licenses' for multi-user editions. In both cases, it's software piracy - which is illegal in the EU - and, when MS gets the product key details, they can (and apparently do) simply invalidate those keys so that no further installations/reinstallations are possible.

Cheers,
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)
Old 01-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
Windows Tech Team

I have no desire for a war.

One can use whatever version of Word one wishes. I used Word 2010 long after both 2013 and 2016 had been initially released. I find 2010 to be "becoming rickety" in many senses so I don't recommend it at this juncture.

I'm also not going to war over the grey market. A legitimate grey market does exist, and is legal. One has to do one's due diligence when buying anything outside 100% known channels. I have had great success, over a period of years, with grey market purchases. I have heard of certain keys being invalidated, but that has not happened to me. When I consider what a license costs from Microsoft or one of their affiliate retailers, and that I'm a home user, and what I can source what I believe to be a legitimate grey market license for, the choice is simple. Others hold a different opinion, and neither opinion is wrong. One must work within the parameters with which one is comfortable.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP

I did not say grey-marketing is not legal. I said software piracy is illegal. Do you understand the difference? It seems not.

Cheers,
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)
Old 01-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Windows Tech Team

If you believe that your prior response to my statement about the grey market is reasonably interpreted other than, "there's virtually no thing, it's almost gotta be black," well . . .

I am well aware of the difference between legitimate grey market sales and the black market/piracy.

The problem being that there are far too many who believe that the grey market does not exist as a legitimate entity. There's a ton of "it's either black or white" thinking out there. Your response was certainly, by my reading based on what you quoted of my prior post, in exactly that vein.

I leave it to the readership to decide what was intended.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for your responses.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member

Letís not make a big deal out of this question folks. I still use version 2007. Maybe it doesnít have all the bells and whistles of the latest version, but for me, thatís just fine as it serves my needs.
johngotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

I have been using Apache Open Office for several years now. It's free. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MS Office, but did I mention it's free? https://www.openoffice.org/
arl8733 is offline   Reply With Quote