Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

User Tag List

How (the HECK) do I stop Outlook2013 resizing images that I have inserted ?

This is a discussion on How (the HECK) do I stop Outlook2013 resizing images that I have inserted ? within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Can anyone tell me how (the HECK) to stop Outlook 2013 resizing all images that I insert into the

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

Can anyone tell me how (the HECK) to stop Outlook 2013 resizing all images that I insert into the body of emails?

I have had this problem for MANY YEARS.

My JPEG image has an internal DPI setting of 96. My GIF images do not have any internal DPI setting.

Reluctantly I have even set my Windows (8.1) Text DPI setting to "100%" (event though I much prefer "125%").
[R-click on Desktop ==> Personalise ==> Display]

But BOTH types of image are being re-sized by Outlook as soon as they are sent. Nighmare! In fact if I just click Send and then open the image again before it has left, the bl**dy image looks larger and more blurred with every time I click "Send" on it.

Yes I have set the zoom of the email to "100%" (by holding down Control and scrolling the mouse wheel).

Any thoughts?

John

P.S. If I can't solve this problem, I shall finally abandon Outlook. However I now have about 10 years of email history in PST & OST format and I would need to find a way to be able to access all of them from any new email client. Any recommendations??

I am using:
Windows 8.1, Office/Outlook 2013 (365)
plus: FSCapture, Photoshop, Xara Designer Pro etc

P.S. It turns out that Windows8.1 was lying to me. It had failed to change the Text DPI setting as requested. [groan] For this reason the JPGs were being resized due to the fact their DPI settings did no match the Windows DPI. I have no idea why the GIFs were being resized however.

G*d I hate this Outlook software. Can anyone recommend a really good email client that doesn't resize images without permission and that works with MSExchange (2007??) AND can read/import about 12GB of PST files... ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Thunderbird has an add-on to resize pictures. TBird works with MS Exchange.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Outlook is adjusting your file as it makes it so it can send it through an Email. Emails can only be a certain size and lowering the quality of the image will allow it to send.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Outlook is adjusting your file as it makes it so it can send it through an Email. Emails can only be a certain size and lowering the quality of the image will allow it to send.
No I am pretty sure that my images are not taking the size of my outbound emails anywhere near the size limit for emails.

How (the HECK) can I stop Outlook from resizing my images.

Moving my entire system to Thunderbird seems like an extreme solution!

John

P.S. Wait - could I run Thunderbird in parallel with Outlook2013? i.e. I could I use Thunderbird for all my outbound emails that contain images??

[ASIDE: Honestly I am so fed up with Microsoft, I have had this niggling problem for literally years. At this point I am starting to want to kill someone.]
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You can (I do). Unfortunately it won't change anything. MC gave you the correct answer.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The size limit for messages is 20Mb. this would include any message and attachment.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
The size limit for messages is 20Mb. this would include any message and attachment.
I'm not sure of the relevance of this. My emails were less than 500KB. For what reason then is Outlook trashing the images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
You can (I do). Unfortunately it won't change anything. MC gave you the correct answer.
Can run Thunderbird in parallel with Outlook, yes?
What do you mean it won't change anything?
Are you saying that it won't allow you to send email with images at their correct sizes?
If so why then do you use both?
Old 07-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I use both so I can send mail from an account I prefer for certain recipients (TBird), while receiving mail from a different EMail provider. In Outlook I send and receive from provider #2. I also work from the Webmail of both providers. It depends on the circumstances. I know of no provider that sends at the exact size of the original.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship69 View Post
I'm not sure of the relevance of this. My emails were less than 500KB. For what reason then is Outlook trashing the images?
What are the size of your photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship69 View Post
Can run Thunderbird in parallel with Outlook, yes?
Yes, you can run them in parallel. There is no harm in that.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
What are the size of your photos?
My photos are small. They are used simply to make visual points in emails. The include a lot of screenshots.

They would be typically be less than 100KB. There might be up to say 3 to 5 images per email.

ASIDE
I just cannot believe that this is so hard! I mean every email you receive from a company has nice clean images in it. So why (THE HECK!!) (if we are running Windows Text DPI at anything other than 96 DPI...) can't we do the same thing and send out HTML emails containing images inserted into the text that aren't BLURRED by Outlook?

I have had to put up with this problem for over 10 years. Everyone who has a high resolution screen will end up with default text all over Windows that it is too small to read easily. And the only solution to this increase your Windows DPI. ...And that screws up your images in Outlook!!

Utter nightmare.

Has anyone written a plug-in to allow emails to be sent from Outlook 2013 (at least using the Outlook .OST data file) WITHOUT resizing/blurring inserted images?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 AM   #11
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

If you're not using 96dpi, try these suggestions to re-render or resize the images: Images resize and become unsharp upon sending - HowTo-Outlook

Quote:
Background of the issue

This issue usually happens when you are using a picture other than 96dpi.

When inserting a picture, Outlook will rescale the image as if it was a 96dpi image. This means that if you have a picture of 150dpi with a height of 88px, it will be displayed as an image of 56px high;
88px/150dpi * 96dpi = 56px

It even gets worse; upon sending, Outlook will convert and compress (re-render) the images to 96dpi with the new dimensions permanently! This means that all the "detailed" picture information is lost and you'll be sending an image of 96dpi which is 56px high. This is of course a severe and very visible quality loss.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #12
Registered Member

The DPI setting within a JPG file that is visible within it's "Properties" is the key to this. Unfortunately I can not work out how to get Photoshop to do "Save for Web" at any DPI setting other than 96DPI.

This means that when my Windows DPI setting is at 120 then when I hit Send on an email within Outlook, any image that does not have a DPI setting of 120 gets phyically resized (i.e. blurred) by outlook.

A partial answer is to use Photoshop's "Save As" rather than "Save for Web" however this does create JPG files that (unhelpfully) are rather larger in bytes.

P.S. I am also nervous about how an image that arrives with a DPI setting of 120 will be rendered by Outlook on a screen of a recipient who still has their DPI set to 96DPI !

So for now every time I want to send an email with an image inserted into it, I change the Windows DPI back to 100% (i.e. 96DPI) log out, login and send the email.

And then pretty soon I can't stand the irritatingly small text almost everywhere so have to change it back to 120DPI and logout and in again!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

If Outlook isn't suitable for your needs, use another email client. Gmail and Thunderbird don't resize images.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
If Outlook isn't suitable for your needs, use another email client. Gmail and Thunderbird don't resize images.
Gmail is out of the question for numerious reasons.
Thanks for the Thunderbird suggestion. I eventually got it working - but only if I use the ExQuilla plug in. There are now two problems:

A) ExQuilla isn't free - I just discovered it's $10/year. That is too much just to send emails with images that aren't screwed up.

B) In Thunderbird, although it does manage to send emails without re-sizing them, it DISPLAYS them resized (larger by 25% in my case - due to my using Window's 125% DPI setting).

Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Could you reset your desktop dpi to the standard 96, then resize the desktop elements using Control Panel > Display > Personalization > Windows Color > Advanced Appearance Settings to get the same effect as you're getting with 125%? If that gives satisfactory results, you can go back to using the standard 96dpi in your Outlook emails and your recipients will see the images as intended.

I haven't used Thunderbird for a few years, so can't advise on that. However, I found a couple of articles yesterday that give instructions on how to create a header template to bypass Outlook's weird image resizing problem. Looks complicated, but once you've got it setup you shouldn't have to do anything else and you can stick with Outlook:

https://litmus.com/community/discuss...ing-in-outlook
https://www.campaignmonitor.com/foru...some-findings/

Old 08-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

Fiddling within Windows fonts I have tried in the past and it is too fiddly and always ends in tears.

Thunderbird demands a plugin (from memory ExQuilla) in order to work with Exchange. Unfortunately it's $10/year which seems a lot of money and hassle to solve what is a Microsoft Office problem.

Moreover Thunderbird also seems to renders images too large when composing them dues to my having Windows DPI necessarily set above 100% (96DPI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
However, I found a couple of articles yesterday that give instructions on how to create a header template to bypass Outlook's weird image resizing problem. Looks complicated, but once you've got it setup you shouldn't have to do anything else and you can stick with Outlook:

https://litmus.com/community/discuss...ing-in-outlook
https://www.campaignmonitor.com/foru...some-findings/
OK now this feels like the answer! [Finally!]
However it is horrendously complicated. For a start I cannot work out how to edit the default HTML (nor in fact any HTML) on Outook emails! Any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:32 AM   #17
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Sorry, I don't have any experience working with Outlook. Those were just 2 articles I found that looked like they might be relevant. I'll ask around and see if any of our MS techs can help.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #18
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Koala's link is the best way. You can try this, but it doesn't do exactly what you want: Outlook 2013: Resize Large Image Attachments

Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Koala's link is the best way. You can try this, but it doesn't do exactly what you want: Outlook 2013: Resize Large Image Attachments
Nice try, however that is only talking about ATTACHED images, and is not about images inserted into the (HTML) body of the email.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #20
Registered Member

If you have changed your Windows Text size (like many of us with high res screens do need to) so far the ONLY way I have found to send HTML emails with images embedded into the HTML at their 'real'/'actual' sizes is to abandon Outlook (yes even v2013 does not work!) and to use Mozilla Thunderbird. >:^[
Closed Thread