Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

User Tag List

Having trouble getting old emails on new computer - Outlook 2010

This is a discussion on Having trouble getting old emails on new computer - Outlook 2010 within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My husband bought a new laptop for his business, and wants all of his emails from his old computer onto

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

My husband bought a new laptop for his business, and wants all of his emails from his old computer onto his new one.

Outlook 2010 is running on both computers, and is linked to his Hotmail account.

Originally I just went onto his online Hotmail account and moved the emails out of his POP folder back into his inbox, and then pressed send receive on his new outlook. For some reason he didn't get all of his emails through to the new computer, so while looking for a specific email he opened up his old computer and outlook.

For some reason, Outlook then took all of the emails that were in his new computer, and put them all in the inbox of his old computer. Really not sure how that happened, but now instead of having his emails on his new computer, he has them twice on the old computer...

I really don't understand what has happened here, and don't know where to start to get it fixed. Essentially we want ALL of the old emails on the new computer, but we don't want them doubled up, because that would just be a PITA trying to get rid of the crap we don't need...

Any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Best thing to do would to copy the .pst file from the old computer to the new one. The .pst file is what holds all email, contacts, calendar items, and pretty much anything else outlook uses. If you go in to the MAIL icon in the control panel of the old computer, you see a section called DATA FILES and there should be a listing for the .pst file (usually something like outlook.pst or the emailaddress.pst). That file can be copied to the new computer and put in place of the "new one" you created when you created his email account. Hopefully that all makes sense.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Yeah it does, does that mean my only option is to go through and delete all of the duplicate emails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

OK I've worked out some of the problem. Our old outlook was set to delete messages from the server, where our new one just picked them up from the inbox, leaving them there.

When we accidentally opened the old one up, it deleted all of the emails that were sitting in the inbox (moved them to the POP folder). As the new outlook could no longer see the emails that it had already downloaded from the inbox, they were all then deleted from the new outlook inbox.

I have since told the old outlook to not delete messages from the server, so hopefully now, even though the problem isn't fixed, it shouldn't get any worse...

I much prefer how the emails are set up with the new outlook, as it makes sense that the emails remain in the inbox until you delete them, and then when they're deleted they are deleted from everywhere...

However I don't think replacing the pst file will work in this case, as there are (some how) emails in the new outlook, that are not any where else, and if I was simply to replace the pst file, then wouldn't these emails disappear?

I've made this a lot more confusing for myself than what it should have been, and now I'm not sure how to fix it...
Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

At this stage you may have created a little extra work, but it's certainly not that bad. Ultimately you want to get the old PST file on the new computer and either import the messages/contacts/calendar and then all should be well, or you make it the default mail store and import the few messages that came in to the "new one" so you'd then have all messages.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Closed Thread