Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Microsoft Office support

User Tag List

CTRL-X fails to add to clipboard in excel 2010

This is a discussion on CTRL-X fails to add to clipboard in excel 2010 within the Microsoft Office support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently migrated to new laptop running win 10 from an older pc running a migration from win 7 to win

Old 05-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Recently migrated to new laptop running win 10 from an older pc running a migration from win 7 to win 10.. CRLX fails to add the cut text to the clip board except when doing it the fist time after opening the worksheet. I have tried this in two different work sheets that are part of different workbooks.
ctrl x works ok in other programs.
I have run excel with the display clipboard window open. After each try I delete the clipboard content to ensure that I see exactly what gets loaded in the clipboard. Once in a while after many CRTL X CtRL V operations it works once and fails the next time.
StanleyGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 05:41 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Try it with numbers lock turned off.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

With num lock off CTRL X saves the cut text to the clip board.
However the problem does not exist on my older dell computer. I use the tenkey numeric pad constantly and do not want to have to switch num lock On and Off to perform data transposition between cells in my spread sheet. However if this information can lead to a resolution of the problem without toggling num lock On and Off I am open to your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have to change my previous answer. Turning number lock off does not always make CTRL-X add the cut text to the clip board. The first test I made was with data that had been saved yesterday in the spreadsheet. With new data added to the spread sheet today it does not always work. It seems to depend if num lock was off when the data was originally saved in the spread sheet cell.
The data is a file name as follows: First Name Last Name filedesc.type.
I then copy First name Last Name in another cell then cut the Last name to insert it in a separate cell resulting in :
Last Name | First Name | First Name Last Name filedesc.type |
Turning num lock off after the initial paste does not result in adding the cut data to the clipboard. Num lock has to be off before saving the data in the spreadsheet ,
Old 05-20-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Run Excel in Safe Mode and if the problem goes away, a process of elimination will determine the culprit.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

In safe mode, pc does not recognize my microsoft account password or my signin password
Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I think you started the whole computer in Safe Mode. Only do Excel: Close Excel>Run: excel.exe /s>

Old 05-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Excel in safe mode.
1- Paste info from external source while numlock is off. CTRL-X loads cut text in clipboard
2- Paste info from external source while numlock is on. CTRL-X does not load cut text in clipboard during subsequent CTRL-X operation
Old 05-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Are you saying it didn't work the way you want it to? Any chance you've been using the feature which saves multiple items to clipboard. If so, Clear All.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

What I do is copy a file name from an external source into a spreadsheet. I then manually parse the file name into three components by copyung the first 2 words of the file name into an adjoining cell. Ie John Doe status.filé
John Doe status.file then I use ctrl-x to remove Doe from that cell and use CTRL-V to paste it into a third cell.
If numlock is on when I start this series of operations, The CTRL-X step cuts the Doe but does not load it into the clipboard for subsequent paste operation.
In order to ensure clarity I empty the clipboard before every test I make .
What I want is to be able to perform these steps with Num lock on all the time. I very rarely work with num lock off.
How would I turn off this feature of multiple items in clipboard?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Since you said it happens in more than one workbook, before going further, let's try the Repair option for Excel.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
Registered Member

Ok how do I proceed?
Old 05-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

https://support.office.com/en-US/Art...e-a6b40c5bb88b

Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #14
Registered Member

Have followed opening instructions. Since I am running a french language version of office 2010 x86 when I right click I have the option Repair compatability problems (my translaion). Have run indicating that previous version of windows was win 7. Tested that excel was still working, then applied recommended parameters.
Restarted excel and tested CTRL-X CTRL-V sequence. Seems to work, but only time will tell if the fix is permanent. I will know within a a day or two. Will advise of final status.

« :CTRL + & CTRL - | - »