Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines.

This is a discussion on Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines. within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Basics: Windows 2003 Server with a domain behind Cisco 1811 router/firewall. Primary Domain Controller and Secondary Domain Controller both Win

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Basics: Windows 2003 Server with a domain behind Cisco 1811 router/firewall.
Primary Domain Controller and Secondary Domain Controller both Win 2k3. 30 workstations. Active Directory setup with roaming profiles. No proxy server.

Affected Workstation: Windows XP SP3 with IE8. Rebuilt TCP/IP stacks and Winsock on workstation. Removed and reinstalled IE. Listed 2 internal and 2 external DNS Resolvers in DNS tab. Can ping external IPs from command prompt.

Problem: I have a single user that can not log onto the Internet with IE8. No one else is having any issues. In the information bar at the bottom left when attempting to open Google (or anything else) it gives the "DNS Error.html" warning then displays "Website can not be opened". I can log this user off of the workstation, log on as admin or anyone else, and internet connectivity is no issue. If he logs onto a different computer that has no problems, he has the same issue of no connectivity. This would indicate that it is somewhere in his personal settings. How would I diagnos this or make changes in these settings so he can get on the internet? Or do I need to look somewhere else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello and Welcome to TSF!

See if resetting the Hosts File helps.

Also, please verify if you have any Proxy settings, if you do then remove it by following this guide.

An update will be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

I replaced the Hosts file on his machine with no changes. I didn't think this would help because any machine he logs onto won't let him access the internet. My guess is something in HKEY_CURRENT_USER (NTUSER.DAT) file got corrupted. I just don't know where to look for it in the registry. The NTUSER.DAT file follows him in his roaming profile whenever he logs on a workstation. No matter what computer he logs into on this network, it won't let him connect. btw, there are no proxy settings. I checked that already and double checked after your posting. I appreciate the help. I'm pulling out my hair on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Have you tried fixing his Profile? Might have been corrupt, see if this guide helps. This guide applies on a Domain computer.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, I have thought about this but disallowed it because he first developed this issue last Saturday and he restarted his computer. Whenever one logs off a workstation that has a roaming profile, it saves the local computer settings (current session) to the corresponding profile on the server. Copying his profile from there, or his machine will make no difference. I have thought about creating a new profile, but I am trying to avoid this because he has dozens of attributes, documents, mapped network drives and speciatly programs that would have to be re-established. Besides, rather than beat his settings into submission, I would rather know the fix for it incase it happens to him or someone else in the future.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

This indicates a corrupt Profile and in my opinion the only fix here is to create a New Profile. You may of course wait for more feedback from others, I have contributed mine.
Quote:
If he logs onto a different computer that has no problems, he has the same issue of no connectivity. This would indicate that it is somewhere in his personal settings.
Closed Thread