Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Problem with IE remembering password for site login

This is a discussion on Problem with IE remembering password for site login within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I help out part-time at my local library. One of our research stations (Win2k), just can't seem to

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tom9984

Hello all,

I help out part-time at my local library. One of our research stations (Win2k), just can't seem to remember the login/password info for a site we frequently access. We make sure the "save password" box is checked when logging in. After IE is closed and restarted, when a patron tries to log in, the username/password fields are blank, even though we saved it previously.

We have that info saved on our other research stations and the info never gets lost. It's just this one problem system. All the systems are running Win2K and have latest IE version and updates. All the settings are near identical.

The site in question is www.corptech.com. It is the login part to their secure site. It is a research database in which we allow patrons to access. That is why we keep all the login/password info saved, so patrons can go directly into the site. The problem system can never remember this info, so we always have to retype the info to login, which is a hassle.

I have double-checked the settings (autocomplete, privacy settings etc.), run adware/spyware/virus scans and uninstall/reinstalled IE. I'm still having this password problem. I downloaded Firefox and the password manager remembers the info successfully everytime. But not IE on this one system. So it seems to me something is wrong with IE. I have even tried clearing all the cache, cookies, temp files, then reattempting to login and save the info. It still isn't remembering.

Every system at the library seems to have no problem with remembering the login/password. It is just this one system. When you go to login, the user/password fields are blank...even though we did check Save/Remember password etc. previously.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Killian Send a message via AIM to Killian Send a message via MSN to Killian Send a message via Yahoo to Killian

Have you tried opening up the cookies completely or at least making an exception for that domain to allow all cookies?

I would also wonder what 3rd party software you have running (firewall, antivirus, etc).
Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have tried both of your suggestions and still no success. The systems have deep freeze and I always turn it off if I am doing any work. The settings are identical to all the other systems and all have the same software.

Yet IE just can't remember the info. I have checked the group policy settings (gpedit.msc) and everything looks right.

Does anyone know where exactly this info is supposed to be saved? On my personal system, I cleared my cache, cookies, temp files etc, closed all IE windows and restarted IE. When I try to login to corptech, the info is saved still. It isn't cleared. I tried searching through the registry and system for any corptech references etc but couldn't really find any.

I am near convinced that something is wrong with Internet Explorer. As I mentioned in my original post, Firefox seems to have no problems remembering info via its password manager. Uninstall/Reinstall of IE didn't help.

I am at a loss of what to do. This minor problem has been really frustrating me lately. I don't understand why its not remembering the login/pass info.

The only thing I can think of, is to upgrade to WinXP or use a different browser. However, I would really like to solve this problem and continue using IE.

Thanks,

Tom9984
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

I found the fix for the problem! I don't know why I didnt find that page sooner.

https://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306895

Tried first 3 methods, didn't work. But then I did #4. New account works. So the old ones were all corrupt. Autocomplete works now. Login and password are saved.

Thanks for the help.

Tom9984
Closed Thread