Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Nothing internet related works but firefox

This is a discussion on Nothing internet related works but firefox within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, recently I was messen around with my computer since I was trying to change my ip address and I

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Hi, recently I was messen around with my computer since I was trying to change my ip address and I didn't know how so I looked on the internet and tried a few things, including some thing that told me to delete some thing called widcom or some thing like that and download a knew version of it. Nothing worked and I am not sure if this is what cause my problem or what. The problem is that any thing that uses the internet (including IE, Safari and the Visual Basic setup program) does not work, the only thing that works is Firefox. So far I have scanned my computer with spybot, a-squared anti-virus, and I have used CCleaner to repair the registry and clean out all the cookies. I have also checked and I am not offline on internet explorer nor do I have a proxy on. Everything is connected correctly too. One thing I saw that was weird is that in internet explorer when I went to Tools>Internet Options>Connections under dialup and VPN settings it list quite a few different connections also when ever I try to connect to one of them it only tries connecting via dialup but it never works and I have DSL. Also when I first open IE7 it says navigation to the web page was canceled then it changes to "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page." I have also made sure that in Services it has the DNS on and set to automatic. One more thing, when I was trying to change my ip I found some thing that told me to go to CMD and type flushDNS. Would that by any chance screw with the connection? The website also said to go to device manager and disable Blue tooth under network adapters which I did but since then I have re enabled it. Please help, thanks! I have also uploaded a picture of the device manager and connect to...
Thanks, Alex

P.S. I have Windows Vista Home Premium and I have a desktop computer which is connected directly to the modem and router.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	56528  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

First of all, your ISP assigns you an ip and is in charge of your presence on the WAN. If you don't have a static (fixed) ip account, you can generally get a new one by releasing and renewing your licence within your DSL modem. Also, running ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from a command line will work in some cases, depending on how you are set up.

flushing your DNS would have no impact. If you have cycled your modem (turn off router, modem, and computer, turn on modem, wait 1 minute, turn on router, wait 30 seconds, turn on computeR) and still can't connect, then:

Depending on how long ago you made the "adjustments," try doing a system restore Control Panel -- > system -- > System Protection

If there are no resotr points prior to when you started making "adjustments," I would go into network connections, delete them all, and then restart. Hopefully they will reinstall with default settings and you will be good to go. If not, then we'll get a bit more detailed.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #3

Thanks! I just restarted my computer then did a system restore and it worked! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Registered Member

Glad to help -- remember that System Restore can be a HUGE friend when stuff like this happens, and you can/should always manually create a restore point before you try screwing with anything "under the hood." The few minutes it takes has saved me at least two re-installs over the years.
Closed Thread