Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Multiple Home Pages for multiple users

This is a discussion on Multiple Home Pages for multiple users within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'd like to set two different home page tabs to come up in IE7 when our users open up the

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to seth_turner_04 Send a message via MSN to seth_turner_04 Send a message via Yahoo to seth_turner_04

I'd like to set two different home page tabs to come up in IE7 when our users open up the their browser. We can't figure out how to make the home page settings work for anybody who logs onto the computer.

Is there somewhere in the registry and allows a person to do that?

The only thing I have seen in the registry for default home pages will only allow us to set one home page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
___

I think I understand your question. Load Internet Explorer 7, then click on Tools, and then Internet Options.

In the General tab there is a big box at the top for Home page settings. As the instructions say, "To create home page tabs, type each address on its own line".

So if you want Google and Yahoo to open when you first load Internet Explorer 7, you need to type this in the box:

https://www.google.com/
https://www.yahoo.com/

I hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to seth_turner_04 Send a message via MSN to seth_turner_04 Send a message via Yahoo to seth_turner_04

I know how to do that for ONE user. It does not save the settings system wide for other users though.

We use a dynamic user policy with volatile user accounts so that the local user account gets deleted after they log off the computer. When they log off the computer, it doesn't save any settings that was made to that account because it gets deleted and they start fresh with the default settings next time they log in.

What I am trying to figure out is how do you make those webpage settings default for every user on the system. I thought maybe there was a setting in the registry that somebody knew about that would let me accomplish this goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #4

Sorry for reviving a long-dead thread, but I was just looking for this same thing and couldn't find it other places on the web.

There is a registry key to set the initial home page, as well as one to set secondary home pages:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Secondary Start Pages]

Likewise, there's a default page and secondary page for the machine (it's called Secondary_Page, but it lets you set multiple):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Default_Page_URL]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Default_Secondary_Page_URL]
So presumably you could write a script to set either of these pairs of keys at startup.
Closed Thread