Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Internet explorer not working after windows update

This is a discussion on Internet explorer not working after windows update within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptops IE7 and Firefox stopped working, I rebuilt the laptop and installed SP3 and browsers worked again, after applying

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 AM   #1

Confused

My laptops IE7 and Firefox stopped working, I rebuilt the laptop and installed SP3 and browsers worked again, after applying windows updates the browser is unable to connect to websites and times out with connection problem.
I also tried updating to IE8, but the same thing happened. If I rollback with system restore everything works again. all of the updates starting 94xx are ok.

I am unable to identify which update is doing this has anyone else experienced this ?

I think it must have been one of the latest patches this week that broke it. Any help withthis is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 05:14 AM   #2

Cool

I had similar problem but finally figured it out.

My issue was with Windows Zero Configuration Service after install of SP3. Just had to restart the service manually from control panel and BOOM, internet works. This particular problem happens mostly on wireless network adapters (mine is a d-link DWA-110 adapter).

Other services you should restart = DHCP! This was the root cause of the problem due to a conflict with Zero Configuration i think. Freakin MS, can't even get their own modules working properly together

If this does not work please do reply i will provide u with some other solution
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 AM   #3

I checked that after applying the updates again and both of these services were ok. I can map a drive to my other PC ok so networking is ok.

Browser just says internet explorer cannot display the webpage.

Pinging bbc.co.uk doesnt work, but if i ping their ip address 212.58.224.138 it works. Sounds like a dns service issue, dns service is running and the other pc is ok, so cant be the isp.

Putting the ip into the IE8 does return a web page, not sure why DNS is not working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #4

I also tried using a cabled connection and it works with this, any ideas why dns doesnt work on wireless with the patches applied ?

Definitely that as when I disconnect cable it stops working again.

I also tried switching off firewall and no difference

Running nslookup resolves addresses ok e.g. bbc.co.uk, I really dont know what to do next.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #5

Try to download https://snipurl.com/eolyf

Dont think that this is a virus. This is just the updation of the registry keys updating and also registry servers of all .dll files updating which are all not registered properly.

So please download the file using the link above and try to run the .exe file by unzipping and then Restart the Computer

Try to login to www.microsoft.com (or) www.msn.com (or) www.google.com

and check whether working properly or not

If not try to consult me back where I will try to provide some other solution
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #6

Red Faced

If the above Solution is not working

1. Open Run Command type in services.msc-ok
2. Select Background Intelligence Transfer Service & stop the service
3. Select Windows Update Service & stop this service also
4. Leave this window opened and open c:\windows\Software Distribution -- folder
5. Delete all the files in that folder and delete that Software Distribution Folder also
6. Close that windows folder and select both the services one by one in the services window and start the services
7. Restart the system and check whether the issue is resolved or not.

Please reply if the issue is resolved or not
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #7

hey try these two steps.....guess it should work

--->Run the New Connection Wizard (control panel,
internet options, connections) this seems to put things right.
--->There is an update for this issue try downloading this file (though it
requires validation )

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3262D5BE-EB48-4FB1-AB4A-AF9F22F40166&displaylang=en
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #8

Tried all of these fixes and no luck so far. By trial and error I have discovered the security update which is the problem, its kb951748.

I did see some mention of problems with zone alarm with this, but I dont use that I use PCguard for security and turning it off makes no difference.

I'll ignore that update for the time being till I can get a fix. Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #9

come on try this way........
u can have the pcguard also...............
try and then u reply for this do not forget this...

try to browse on the internet in the safe mode.......

u know how? if not use this shut down the system then power on the system when powering on just click f8 frequently,this shows safe mode,safe mode with something.............
Closed Thread