User Tag List

IE8 closed by Windows

This is a discussion on IE8 closed by Windows within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My lodger is having problems with his laptap. He's running Windows XP Professional SP3 with IE8. Every so often

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Hi,
My lodger is having problems with his laptap. He's running Windows XP Professional SP3 with IE8. Every so often he will get a message to say that Windows is closing IE to protect his computer. I've cleaned his machine up with everything I know and have run sfc /scannow but the problem is still there. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
TSF Emeritus

Hi John,

That is new one for me. Are you sure he is not infected? IF he is not infected,do you know what websites it happens on for example https:// sites?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Hi Alex,
His machine is totally clean and he doesn't go wandering round dubious sites like I do. About the only site he ever goes on is ebay, which is an https:// site. I must admit that I had a bit of trouble with IE8 when it first came out and after being a lifelong IE supporter I switched to FF and haven't looked back. I installed FF for my lodger last night and he's had no more problems, but I would have liked to know the reason for IE falling over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
TSF Emeritus

Hi John,

I to am a big fan of FF. I think it could be an add-on he has installed. It sounds like something like a security add-on would do.

Try disabling some at a time to see if it can be narrowed down.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

I doubt if he knows how to add add-ons but I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks.

Closed Thread