Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Explorer 8 --> google, search comes up with internal server error 500

This is a discussion on Explorer 8 --> google, search comes up with internal server error 500 within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok Guys, odd one... I open up explorer (which default homepage is www.google.co.uk ) and slowly but surely it will

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #1

Ok Guys, odd one...

I open up explorer (which default homepage is www.google.co.uk) and slowly but surely it will come up.

Type something - anything into the search and submit...
It seems to try to find something then will return an internal server error 500.

I have installed explorer 8 to try and solve the above problem that occured even with Explorer 7 but still no luck.

I have tried all the usual anti-spyware and virus stuff in case this was the cause. (spybot, spywareblaster, malware bytes, avira antivirus etc, cleared temps)

Now the computer used to have mcafee on but I removed it in case this was the cause.

I even tried making a brand new user and the same thing happens with that, google, search, internal server error 500.

If I manually type in a website it works, but cant seem to get google to work!

I also noticed a BING addon... is this normal?

Help please guys!! Is there anyway I can completely remove all of explorers cached websites as it never seems to fully clean up.

Thanks
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #2

I am having exactly the same problems as you! I recently upgraded to IE8 and also have the Bing ad on...Keep getting Error 500 Internal server error when I try to access my most used website...not others though? I have Windows Vista...can I use a different browser?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #3

I think I solved it, find your hosts file and just rename it to something else, you may find on next reboot all the problematic hosts are back, this could be a program or virus altering it, until sorted you could write a batch file that simply renames it.

host files are in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and probably similar location in vista.

Hope that helped someone!

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyuk View Post
I think I solved it, find your hosts file and just rename it to something else, you may find on next reboot all the problematic hosts are back, this could be a program or virus altering it, until sorted you could write a batch file that simply renames it.

host files are in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and probably similar location in vista.

Hope that helped someone!

Andy
Hi Andy!

I tried your suggestion and no luck unfortunately. I'm still getting the 'HTTP 500 Internal Server Error' when I try to log in to my favourite website....don't have the problem with any other websites?

Have ran all virus checks, cleared cache, defrag, everything I could think of? Do you have anymore suggestions please help?
TIA
Closed Thread