User Tag List

deleting an email address

This is a discussion on deleting an email address within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a REAL old e-mail address that I do not use anymore due to an ENORMOUS amount of junk

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a REAL old e-mail address that I do not use anymore due to an ENORMOUS amount of junk mail from address getting out on the web and I would like to delete it so I do not keep getting all the crap. I don"t know if I can lust turn off all notifications for that addree or how to get RID of it. HELP please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Did you attempt to close the account?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

yes but i stopped it as the way it showed it looked like it wanted to know if i agreed to close my Microsoft account not just the email account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Was it a Hotmail account. If not, what was it?

Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

it is [email protected] which I access through outlook.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...-email-address

Old 10-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

I went to the address you provided and followed the instructions as u suggested , when I got to the point where it asked to confirm and showed the info about what it would mean it sounded like I would not be able to access my other email address's. If I read this wrong please let me know and I will go back and complete the process.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

You're trying to get rid of msn.com but not Outlook or outlook.com. What did it say specifically.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You can get rid of the email address (alias) without closing your Microsoft account. What you need to do is add a new alias to the account and make it the primary alias, then delete the old alias. Any subsequent emails sent to the old address should no longer find their way into your inbox. You can then clean up the inbox by deleting all emails sent to the old address. I did this with my main Microsoft account which was originally using an [email protected] and I've since changed it to an [email protected] primary alias.

After you've done this, be advised that ANY device that is signed into the Microsoft account using the old msn address will lose the connection to that account and you'll have to sign them back into that account using the new primary alias.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks for the info will do it soonest.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

An alternative procedure would be to go out to the server. There's probably an option under the "gearhead" icon that provides a choice of responses, including one which returns to the sender a message that you create that might say "This email address is no longer in service" or something like that. It should not let the incoming message get passed down to you, so you won't see anything. It doesn't delete the account, but it's easy and accomplishes what you want.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

managed to delete the address. Many thanks for all the responses.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollhobbs View Post
managed to delete the address. Many thanks for all the responses.
You're welcome. Cheers
Old 12-26-2018, 05:06 AM   #14
Registered Member

I was able to use this information to delete my email address from hotmail. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joangolfing View Post
I was able to use this information to delete my email address from hotmail. Thanks!
You're welcome.
Closed Thread