Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Could someone please explain the favourites system?

This is a discussion on Could someone please explain the favourites system? within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. I just bought a Windows 10 computer and it came with this Windows Edge thing, which I understand

Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hi there. I just bought a Windows 10 computer and it came with this Windows Edge thing, which I understand is the successor to Internet Explorer. I've been using IE for years (right up until yesterday) and have accumulated a massive web of favorites folders, which I absolutely want to keep and expand upon in the future.

I did the following... I stupidly copied all my favourites from the IE Favourites folder on my old PC, and pasted them into the Favourites folder on my new machine. They still didn't show up when I opened the favourites tab in Edge. So I clicked "import from IE", and sure enough, they all appear in a special folder called "imported from IE".

Now the trouble begins. When I add new favourites while browsing in Edge, they do NOT show up in the Favourites folder. Neither do changes made in that folder affect the way they look in Edge. This is beyond annoying. What I always loved about IE was how easy it was to move, order and manipulate favourites because they showed up in one neat little folder.

So... if the files in the Favourites folder do NOT reflect the favourites in Edge, then where ARE they stored? And is there a way to get my imported favourites to show up along with all the others, and not tucked away in some "Imported from IE" folder? How can I back up my Favourites in the future? How can I sort my favourites in Edge, like move them between different folders? It was easy in IE, control + click multiple faves and then just cut + paste, but doing it in the app itself would take ages because you can't select more than one file at a time!
MentalParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

First, while Edge is the successor to IE, the current version of Edge as shipped with Windows 10 is about to be discontinued. Microsoft is replacing it with a Chromium-based Edge which, if things stay on track, will be replacing the current Edge in the first Feature Update of 2020. You really should use one of the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels versions of Edge. My personal preference is the Dev channel, which has been incredibly robust and stable over the months I've been using it.

Microsoft is finally ditching the Favorites mechanism as they had implemented it for many years, as no one else has been using same for a very long time now. The New Edge still uses the Favorites terminology, which they should have dropped for Bookmarks to retain the convention used by all other Chromium browsers, but didn't.

There is no use in even trying to learn the details of "Edge Initial" since it is disappearing in very short order.

In new Edge one can use Manage Favorites (CTRL+SHIFT+O) exactly like one uses Bookmarks Manager in Google Chrome, Brave, and other Chromium-based browsers to rearrange one's Favorites/Bookmarks, including reassigning folders.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

This all goes way over my head... What do they mean by "Chromium-based"?

And what does this mean for my existing collection of IE favorites? Do I lose them all? Can I still import them in this new version of Edge?

And what about the questions of my OP, they still apply even with this new version...
Sorry if I seem infuriatingly ignorant, I'm not particularly tech-savvy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

1. Chromium-based simply means that the browser itself uses the code base from the Chromium browser, which is Open Source, as it's starting point. It also means that, if you're familiar with the Google Chrome browser, or any web browser based on Chromium (and there are a number of them) that the New Edge will feel very, very familiar to you when you start using it. Also, if you are a Google Chrome user, there is a switch you can throw in New Edge settings to allow extensions from the Chrome Web Store to be installed in Edge.

2. All contemporary web browsers, including New Edge, have a step on first use where you are asked whether you wish to import your favorites/bookmarks from another browser. I would presume that IE will be one of the choices, but it's been a while since I last did a fresh install of any browser, so I can't remember specifically. If IE is not included, then you can always use the Export feature for favorites in IE, and the Import feature in Edge (or any other browser) to bring them in.

I cannot answer exactly where any web browser stores its bookmarks/favorites, as I don't dig under the hood to deal with them. All contemporary browsers: Firefox, New Edge, Google Chrome, Brave, and Opera, to name but a few, have Bookmarks managers built in. All the functions related to managing bookmarks, including exporting, importing, moving around in a folder structure of your creation, etc., are a part of the Bookmarks Manager.

Bookmarks/Favorites are not shared between browsers (as they once were via the Favorites mechanism) and have not been for quite a few years now.

I always hated IE and really stopped using it for virtually anything, even testing, once a number of websites started locking you out if IE was detected. It has not been maintained as a fully functioning browser for some time now. I've been a Firefox, Chrome, and Brave user for ages, long before Windows 10.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

I think I understand now. I guess I'll just wait until this new version of Edge comes out, and then import those IE favorites there. Or perhaps switch to Chrome completely and ditch Edge. Thanks for explaining!
Old 01-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

Well, if you have concerns about privacy (and I know that many do not, at least not particularly), I'd suggest you go to Brave rather than Google Chrome, which is a data mining machine.

I use Chrome only for one Google account I have. Everything else is Brave. I used to use Chrome much more, but really got fed-up with the amount of data mining and profiling that Google does - and you give them permission to do it as part of the Google Chrome end user licensing agreement.

I really like the New Edge and despised the original one. But that's because I like all the Chromium-based browsers and the fact that using one makes using all the others exceedingly easy.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

I feel your pain. After I moved most my favorites into Edge I somehow forgot one section [restaurants]. When I subsequently tried to bring that file over via the import method they arrived as "imported from IE" and I can't get them out of that file folder and just listed as a separate file. When it is opened the restaurants are listed in a strange format different from Edge. Frustrating. I also hope if this new Edge is introduced that they resolve the issue of moving favorites within a file Now if you move them and the mouse moves the pointer just a little too fast the item being moved zooms at a hundred miles an hour and often can get accidently put in another folder which can be almost impossible to find.
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote