User Tag List

cant display webpage

This is a discussion on cant display webpage within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My sister gave me her old laptop (2 years old), when I try to connect to the internet all i

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

My sister gave me her old laptop (2 years old), when I try to connect to the internet all i get is Cannot display webpage. Internet connection is good, and i reset IE setttings to default, still get the same thing. when I click on "more information" the address bar changes to "res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#" Any idea as to why i cant connect to internet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Temporarily disable your third-party firewall if you have one installed.
If that does the trick, you know it's the firewall that's blocking your connection, or at least blocking IE from accessing the internet.

Check the firewall's application permissions and adjust where necessary, or use a different firewall.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

No there is no 3rd party firewall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

and I reset windows firewall to factory settings as well as IE settings back to factory.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
TSF Emeritus

Check if you are using any Proxy Settings, here's how to remove it.

Clear your browser's cache. Here's a guide.

Then this:

How do I reset the hosts file back to the default?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

The proxy settings were not in use, and when i typed the system WOW64 into the run menu it came back that windows can not find the file
Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
TSF Emeritus

Did you also clear the cache?

Please do this:

Click Start =>All programs => Accessories right click on Comand Prompt and click Run as Administrator

Copy and paste this into the Command prompt:

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Press Enter

Then copy and paste this in:

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Then copy and paste this in:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Press Enter.

When finished restart your computer.

What firewall is on the computer?

Can other programs that require internet still work?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

The only problem is when I try to run administrator it asks for a password, which i do not know. This computer belonged to my sisters 11 year old daughter, so I have no idea what she did to it. I tried to do windows update and it will not connect. I reset IE to factory settings as well as windows firewall. There is no 3rd party firewall. Antivirus was turned off so it could be just a virus but I wanted to check all the settings first.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
TSF Emeritus

You need to try and get the password for the user account.
Closed Thread