Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Cannot open certain sites like overstock, walmart, officemax xp sp2 ie7

This is a discussion on Cannot open certain sites like overstock, walmart, officemax xp sp2 ie7 within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been having this problem for quite some time and I have given up trying to fix it myself. I

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #1

I've been having this problem for quite some time and I have given up trying to fix it myself. I get the website cannot be displayed message.
I have checked for viruses and spyware - nothing found
I have updated my computer including going to ie7 - nothing
I have checked my hosts and only have the example acme showing
I have booted and rebooted, cried and prayed - nothing
I have tried going to proxy stupid censorship and got the message: website has taken the security cert. of another website, this website may be trying to obtain your personal information...etc. It gave me the option to proceed or not to and I looked up and where I had typed in overstock.com it was now the finger factory. I closed the browswer window.
I am running a wireless router but couldn't find anything in the firewall. Have manually adjusted security settings, pop ups, cleared the cache, checked system disks, and am now completely of ideas. All the information from above I have gotten from cruising the help boards here and there.
Any help or advice would be great. Oh yeah, I have a true copy of Windows XP, but I do not have the disks. I was given this laptop after it was purchased from an auction. So I have no idea and am not sure where to look to see if this guy blocked them somewhere else. He did not totally clean the computer before selling it. All file titles were still here, just the files were gone.
Thank you so much for any help or advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #2

I am having the same problem - Overstock and WalMart are the two vendors whose sites I cannot get to, from my desktop running xp sp 3. I can get to them both from my laptop running same OS. Have tried everything you have as well, matched up every single setting within Internet Options in IE 7 and Mozilla Firefox both. No luck. Will be extremely interested to hear what if anything you find out.
Closed Thread