Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Cannot Access Certain HTTPS Sites in IE9

This is a discussion on Cannot Access Certain HTTPS Sites in IE9 within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I suddenly not longer can access certain https sites to login including Wells Fargo and Shutterfly. I have Vista and

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I suddenly not longer can access certain https sites to login including Wells Fargo and Shutterfly. I have Vista and am using IE9. I have gone through every suggestion in the the various links I have found on this forum (including below) and am completely stumped. I recently got a new modem from Comcast with wifi built in and installed AVG PC Tuneup and that's when the problems started. Please please help!

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ml#post1445007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

AVG PC Tuneup is a Registry Cleaner and you'll see many posts in TSF wherein this family of devices cause problems. See if you can reverse the "cleaning" or if a System Restore works.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

So I undid all of the AVG updates and did a system restore and rebooted. Still no luck. Please any more suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Did you restore to a point to before you installed AVG PC Tuneup ?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

I restored through AVG to the earliest point listed. Is there another method to restore that I should use?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

use windows for the restore. Using Windows 7 or Vista System Restore - How-To Geek

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

I selected the earliest restore point available, which was only 2 days ago. AVG was installed two weeks ago. I undid all of the AVG changes within AVG as welll. Still no luck. Any other ideas? Should I uninstall AVG?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Did you click on the bottom radio button to Choose a different restore point as there should be more than for just two days ago.

Uninstalling the program may help as you have used its "Undo" option, but if you can't find any earlier restore points, then tapping F8 on bootup and selecting Last Known Good Configuration may do it.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

I am really stumped on this. I selected F8 on bootup but no menus or choices came up. I did select the radio button but the only restore points available were from 12/28. Nothing earlier. There must be some obvious fix that I am missing?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

AVG PC Tuneup gives you the option of turning off System Restore during its processing. Did you do this? Did you follow the AVG advice and backup your files first. If so you can reverse what AVG PC Tuneup did.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

In System Protection/Configure you will see the space allocated to restore points and I think the default setting is 3% of your HDD and would normally be sufficient for more than just one restore point.

You can vary the allocated amount with the slider.

To access the repair options, depending on the make & model of your computer - you may have to hold down ALT+F10 or F11 on boot up, but post the make & model and I'll look for the procedure.

If it is a registry problem, you could also try running a sfc /scannow as an administrator from the cmd prompt which performs a system file check and repair.

To do this - from Start > type cmd.exe then right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator > Yes then at the cmd prompt type sfc /scannow (noting the space before the forward slash) then press Enter

The scan will take 20 - 30mins and will produce a report on its completion.

It will either be to the effect ...couldn't find any integrity violations (usually okay) or that it had found and repaired bad files (better) or that it had found and fixed some bad files but not all.. but let us know its findings if you are able to access Last Known Good Config and there's no improvement.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

I am using a Dell Inspirion 530. The scannow didn't seem to detect anything wrong. I tried rebooting and hitting F10 or F11 but nothing happened.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Try F8.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

@Corday - Post#9 - nothing came up.

@mdfinx - I don't kow if this will work for you but it's courtesy of Google.

Shutdown the computer and unplug for a minute, then plug back in and switch on.

As soon as you switch on, start tapping the Space bar once every 2secs.

You may hear some beeps, but this will enable Last Kown Good Configuration which may give a small menu with a prompt for you to select LKGC.

LKGC is supposed to search your Restore Points, but as you only have the one listed - then this may not work for you unless it can find any before you used AVG PC Tuneup.

If it has screwed your reg, you may be able to use the repair option booting up with your install disk or bite the bullet, back up your files and factory reset it either through Recovery partition or with the disk.

How to Use the Recovery Partition on a Dell Inspiron 530 | eHow.com

How Do I Boot an Inspiron Into Restore Mode? | eHow.com
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the F8 LKGC, but did not get an option to pick a date, so it must have used the last restore point which is still 12/28. I have no idea why I don't have earlier restore points. I also downloaded and ran the Little Registry cleaner. But still I cannot access most https sites like Wells Fargo and Shuttfly past the splash page.

Is my last option truly to factory reset? Should I lug my computer to a Best Buy geek squad?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

If you have a Vista disc you can do a Repair Install thereby not losing any data although a backup is always recommended. If not and you'll be using the factory partition,
you can do the reset yourself, but please heed what we said. The reason for your problem was most probably the use of a Registry Cleaner.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

Which "Little Registry Cleaner" are you referring to - hope you ignored any advert links in those How Tos as I think enough damage may have already been caused by AVG PC Tuneup and you should never allow a reg cleaner unfettered access to your registry and never use one yourself, unless you fully understand what you are cleaning out and why.

LKGC auto searches for the restore points, so you wouldn't have been given the option to choose any.

Dell Support seem to be very good at supplying free install disks should you not have any and you are unable to reset/restore via F8.

You can either use the Dell Diagnostics/FAQs or the Contact Us link if none of the former fit your situation Support for Home Users | Dell US
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
Gone | Not Forgotten

I assume your day and date, on the PC, are correct

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Registered Member

Date and time are correct.

I found a Windows Vista reinstallation DVD and a Dell drivers and utilities DVD. Is this what I need?

Also, what will happen to Microsoft Office, Webroot Antivirus, and anything else I installed. All wiped out?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Not if you do a repair install. If you do a clean install, everything but the OS will be gone.

Closed Thread