Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Internet Explorer & Edge Forum

User Tag List

Browsers stop working after update

This is a discussion on Browsers stop working after update within the Internet Explorer & Edge Forum forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm a Firefox user typically, but a few weeks ago there was an update and following it Firefox just plain

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm a Firefox user typically, but a few weeks ago there was an update and following it Firefox just plain stopped working. It doesn't recognise a connection at all.
After reading around, others who have this problem are told to check firewalls and make sure it's not being blocked. Well I turned all firewalls off and also tried removing and re-adding the program to the exception lists of both Kaspersky and windows firewall, but nothing.

I just sort of gave in and started using IE, which was working fine. But last night there was an automatic windows update. And now today I find that Internet Explorer is doing the exact thing firefox was! It just won't open any pages as if it can't find a connection.

So now I'm using firefox 3 Beta. But really I just want my standard browsers back!

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #2

I tried Firefox 3b5 after my problem showed up and it won't work either.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #3

I turned off Automatic Updates, and removed all (5) of the 4/9 updates using Add/Remove Programs. After that, IE7 started working normally again. I haven't tried Firefox again, but I expect that it would work. There obviously is some kind of problem with one or more of the updates. Tomorrow I will reinstall the updates one-at-a-time until I find out which one it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Okay I went into add/remove programs and uninstalled the updates from that day. It didn't do anything. There were only four though. I can't see anything marked as an IE7 update or fix.

I've been trying to salvage my firefox, from reinstalling to making a new profile but nothing.

I'm still stumped! For Safari and other internet using programs the connection is perfect!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #5

Exact same thing happened to me i got so scared :/ because my msn and games were working
Old 04-13-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Did you manage to fix it?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #7

Sockman -

In Add/Remove programs (make sure you check "Show Updates") scroll down to the section for Windows Internet Explorer 7 - Software Updates. The last update should start with "Hotfix" - it is update KB947864, and should be dated something like 4/9 or 4/10/2008. That's the one! Good luck!
Closed Thread