Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

User Tag List

Search bar hijacker. Nothing found in programs, extensions, or security scans.

This is a discussion on Search bar hijacker. Nothing found in programs, extensions, or security scans. within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Today I started noticing that my searches in Google Chrome sometimes get hijacked to some place called "qip.ru." I don't

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Today I started noticing that my searches in Google Chrome sometimes get hijacked to some place called "qip.ru." I don't know what's on that site because my script blockers stop anything from showing up. I looked up the address and it seems to be a browser hijacker, but I'm not seeing any of the things that usually come with browser hijackers.

Nothing showed up on scans from Windows Defender or Malwarebytes. When I looked through my Chrome extensions nothing about it showed up there either. I also didn't find any programs related to it. I haven't even installed any new software on this computer in quite some time. The closest thing to "new software" might be a remote desktop shortcut I have to download every day for work, but I always delete it right after using it.

This thing doesn't even really hijack the home page or any other part of my browser. It just hijacks the search/address bar sometimes. That's the only evidence I've found of it on my computer.

Edit: I found "qip.ru" among the search engines in settings. I removed it, but the site still hijacks my search bar sometimes.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DDS.txt (37.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: txt Attach.txt (16.2 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

I know you guys don't like people looking for help elsewhere, but I did another search which brought up a reddit thread posted earlier today suggesting a lot of Chrome extensions got hit with this hijacker today. I guess I gotta go through them to find out which of mine is the culprit.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple Virus detection and Rogue Programs.
I have been passed a computer that appear to be badly infected with numerous nasties. Hopefully these are just adware but probably not AVG reports the following Adware MultiBundle.V Adware Generic5.APKC Adware Generic5.APFQ Unfortunately the person has compounded the problem by...
loftyandroley Resolved HJT Threads 22 04-17-2014 08:48 PM
Cannot create shortcuts
Hello, I've been having issues with my computer for a while. It started out with a virus that "scanned" my computer for an infection, and of course my wife hits "OK". I had thought i cleaned that up, then I had the "The FBI has locked your computer" for whatever reason, and I had cleaned that up...
Andy_F Resolved HJT Threads 76 02-19-2013 06:46 PM
possibly spyware, adware or what ever else.
Hi all, when i open a browser, it automatically direct me to some random sites. I tried making my default homepage something else but it still does the same thing. I would believe that it is either spyware or adware. Moreover, I have experienced that sometimes when i idol from my computer, it...
kewin118 Resolved HJT Threads 19 10-30-2012 04:49 AM
[SOLVED] Re: IE7 cannot connect with secure sites
Hi...Corday of the Internet Explorer forum site suggested that I put the DDS file and Attach files on this forum. I could not download the ark.txt from the many GMER sites that I saw. The following was sent to Corday who suggested the re-direction to the Security centre. Corday..thanks...
raringer Resolved HJT Threads 43 06-26-2012 08:33 PM