Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

User Tag List

rootkit ODG trojan found - ESET cannot clean

This is a discussion on rootkit ODG trojan found - ESET cannot clean within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I ran a quick scan on memory and Windows folder today and ESET found this threat in memory; stated it

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #1

I ran a quick scan on memory and Windows folder today and ESET found this threat in memory; stated it cannot clean. A Google search led me to your forum post by another user w/the same problem.

I appreciate any help you can give me. System has been very slow, and Explorer crashes a lot when I right click on a file. Also some of my system icons are gone.

Odd thing, I did a full scan on memory/boot sector and my OS drive 3 days ago and ESET found nothing. I have realtime AV and Spyware protection enabled for all files, web, and email. So, I'm surprised that this trojan 'broke thru' ESET's realtime scanning and appeared with today's scan. Do you guys know if that is common? If this type of virus is not currently running in memory, does that mean it can go undetected with a full scan? Does this type of virus run in memory sporadically, like there is some program that triggers it, and it is not always running?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
TSF Security Manager
Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello ckbeme,

There is no AV out there, that can block all malware. Take a look around at how many people post for assistance and you'll find that they also have AV's they scan with daily, and keep updated. It's a cat and mouse game. New malware comes out all the time--daily, and the AV companies work tirelessly to keep up.

Kindly follow the instructions in our sticky topic New Instructions - Read This Before Posting for Malware Removal Help and post the requested logs in your next reply.

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

"It is one life whether we spend it laughing or weeping." "Take the time to laugh--it is the music of the soul."
Closed Thread