Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

User Tag List

Randomly downloaded a file simply called "$"

This is a discussion on Randomly downloaded a file simply called "$" within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was on a wiki just now for a mobile game I play, and I visit this wiki all the

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was on a wiki just now for a mobile game I play, and I visit this wiki all the time, and never had anything odd happen. But just now, when I was navigating the site, my Chrome browser randomly downloaded a file called "$". I'm super paranoid about malware and whatnot, so I'm kind of freaking out.

I immediately scanned the file with Malwarebytes, and it didn't turn up anything bad, and I immediately deleted the file and emptied my recycling bin. Is there any other way I can know if that was something bad that infected my computer?

I also went into my Chrome downloads, and I copied the entire link from the file that was downloaded, so I have the link, but I don't know if I should post it here in case it is something bad. Is there any way to tell from a URL if it's malware related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi,

Please follow the instructions here > NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

Follow the instructions carefully and if you have any problems with them, let the analyst know in your thread.

Be advised that this part of the forum is usually very busy so some patience will be required but someone will be along to assist you when they can.

If you have no response within 72 hours, you may reply to your own thread with 'Bump please', this will result in your thread moving to the top of the forum making it more visible.

Good luck.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
windows 10 acting very strange
Hi folks. been having very bad navigation and page loading issues, with websites timing out all over the place ? passwords are all of a sudden gone, or not working. i had to reset nearly every webpage i visit. this site was particularly difficult. all of this started about the same time...
tcseacliff Windows 10 Support 56 04-24-2018 04:30 PM
Persistent BSOD Issue Since Installing Windows 10
Hi guys, Not long ago I purchased a MSI GS60 notebook (the version with the i7-4710HQ and 970M graphics card, in case that's relevant to this issue). It came preinstalled with Windows 8, and prior to updating to Windows 10 I had zero issues with blue screens. However, just over a month ago I...
Semb BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 2 09-15-2015 03:59 AM
Programs not opening (inc microsoft word and paint)
Hi folks, I have a problem with my pc (Im not sure if its actually a virus- I think I might have deleted something a while back in the registry trying to fix something else that mightve caused it). I tried reinstalling office but that made no difference. I looked on the microsoft page and...
EddieRooo Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 17 01-07-2015 05:17 PM
Internet Explorer stops responding or runs slow
I have an older laptop with an Intel processor and 4GB of RAM running Vista. I am having issues which seem mainly to be in Internet Explorer and to a lesser extent in other programs as well. There are times when going into Windwos Mail that I get a message at the top of the page that says not...
jackdup Resolved HJT Threads 61 01-03-2015 03:15 PM
Random/rare STOP0x1E
Been fighting against this one for a while now and couldn't figure out the cause, especially since the crashes come and go and are very rare... anyway, here is the data: OS - Windows 7 x64 SP1 OEM (MSDNAA version) Age of system: one and a half years Age of OS installation: a month ...
Soukyuu BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 3 09-26-2011 11:16 AM