Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

User Tag List

Newish High-End PC Extremely Slow

This is a discussion on Newish High-End PC Extremely Slow within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. For the past 2 weeks or so, my normally pretty fast gaming PC has been struggling with doing the

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. For the past 2 weeks or so, my normally pretty fast gaming PC has been struggling with doing the most basic things, such as opening folders in explorer, saving or moving small JPG's, and other small tasks like it. Everything also feels unstable, with programs like Media Player (or a folder in explorer) likely to crash if you dare do anything while it loads.

But I've noticed something very odd that might be connected to this. In my system tray, I noticed a little program called "directvobsub". More disturbingly, I noticed a couple hundred instances of this program open at the same time, and changing all the time (some opening, closing, etc). I attached a pic to show you what I mean...

This piece of unwanted malware does NOT show up in the process bar either. How convenient... Can this be the source of my misery?

I tried everything else... unleashed several virus scanners, defragged, did disc clean-up, rebooted... Nothing helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	***.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	270706  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
Hello. For the past 2 weeks or so, my normally pretty fast gaming PC has been struggling with doing the most basic things, such as opening folders in explorer, saving or moving small JPG's, and other small tasks like it. Everything also feels unstable, with programs like Media Player (or a folder in explorer) likely to crash if you dare do anything while it loads.

But I've noticed something very odd that might be connected to this. In my system tray, I noticed a little program called "directvobsub". More disturbingly, I noticed a couple hundred instances of this program open at the same time, and changing all the time (some opening, closing, etc). I attached a pic to show you what I mean...

This piece of unwanted malware does NOT show up in the process bar either. How convenient... Can this be the source of my misery?

I tried everything else... unleashed several virus scanners, defragged, did disc clean-up, rebooted... Nothing helps.
Update: It disappeared all of the sudden. All 200 instances of it. It reappears when I open a WMP file, but now it's only one instance. Turns out it's a subtitle codec thing. So... this is probably NOT the cause of the slow performance.
Closed Thread