Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

User Tag List

Having an issue with win7, not sure if it's a virus or simply corrupted files.

This is a discussion on Having an issue with win7, not sure if it's a virus or simply corrupted files. within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Background: Was on computer late one night checking facebook, seldom use it, but son lives in USVI, and I hadn't

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Background:
Was on computer late one night checking facebook, seldom use it, but son lives in USVI, and I hadn't heard from him since after Irma and it's sometimes the most reliable means to communicate, might miss a 'call' but it's there :)
Anyway, checked FB, shut down and went to sleep, in the morning I turned on the computer and was met with an X on action center notifications (Turn on update,find Av, configure update,They all were on/set up) network (no connections available, does work, using it now), as well as sound (audio service not running).

When attempting to open windows explorer, control panel etc, I get a message saying:

"windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permmissions to access them"

I can not enter control panel or explorer, a command prompt will get me anywhere on my computer, and even though it say's no connection for network, I can reach anywhere on my network that I have a shortcut for on my desktop, the same for files on my computer.

The only reall error that shows up when I'm motivated to start digging is a 'shell32.dll' error, but if I remember right, there are hundreds of actions that go through shell32, so doesn't help me narrow it down any.

My normal practice is to backup once a week, but been in and out of hospital for a while and my last backup was in may....

Spybot as well as malware bytes show no infection, so not sure what the issue is.

Other issues, I can open pretty much any download, as long as it is NOT a zip file, an open anything on my computer or navigate to any disk, computer. network location either through another program (as in save here, look here etc), just not through 'normal' methods.

Recovery by using the install DVD doesn't work either.

I have copied all the important files over to another drive, so a fresh install isn't a dealbreaker, but I have several large games and other programs that were installed over the net, lousy internet here so reinstalling many of them means staying up to 3-4 am, would prefer to avoid that....

Basically, my question is, is it a virus, or a corrupted file system?
If a virus, How can I get rid of it, if it's a corrupted file, where should I look to repair it?

Did attempt a repair install of w7, as well as a (can't think of a polite word for going to w10, I owe a lot of what I know about wine to w10....),install while saving files, and they will not even start.
responce was "windows can not retrieve a response from this computer' (from memory)

As mentioned, I am not certain if it is a virus or a corrupted file/system just want to avoid sleepless nights of reinstalling programs :)

(and yeah, I know I tend to ramble, but well, you try to make sense when loaded with narcotics...)

edit: no, don't like them, want them, but they are the only things that work. Vicious circle. So, if I get goofy you know why....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread