Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

User Tag List

Don't know where to start

This is a discussion on Don't know where to start within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I went to "Thread Tools" I think I hit "solved" since I can't find the thread on this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

When I went to "Thread Tools" I think I hit "solved" since I can't find the thread on this forum. I'm not trying to post twice. I'll try to remember what I said. I'll describe the issue again. I should say that I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to tech stuff. It's not that I'm against tech, it's just that I'm inept. I don't know where to start, so I'll start at the beginning. I'm typing this on an old machine since the new laptop can not get on line.

I tried to download Revo Uninstaller to get rid of a program that came on my new laptop. I should know by now free is not really free. Ironically, the download installed many unwanted programs. I was using Control Panel to get rid of the unwanted programs using the date of installation as a guide when suddenly Control Panel shifted to icons and no date to guide uninstallation.

The 'new' laptop is a refurbished Hewlitt Packard f211-wm running Windows 10. I only use this machine to check email and look things up on the internet. Right now the laptop has a blue box that says "This app can't open Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again." This blue box is super imposed over an ad for Norton Security. When I try to close the page by clicking on the x another ad pops up. Like I said I can't get on the internet with that machine. The icon for Internet Explorer changed position in the taskbar. Is there hope or do I have a doorstop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Bump, please.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
Security Team
Analyst

Hello keltics,

My name is Tolga and I will assist you with your malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.
First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
Please download to and run all requested tools from your Desktop.
Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
If you have any problems while following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
Do not run any other scans without instruction or add/remove software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
Post all logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
My native language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

Now, let's get started, shall we?

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
Make sure the Addition.txt button is ticked.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

When I click on thread tools, the following options drop down:
Show printable version
Email this page
Down load thread
Unsubscribe from this thread
Mark this thread as solved
There is a check mark in front of 'Mark this thread as solved'.

How can I download anything on the affected machine? It cannot get online. I am comunicating with you on a different computer.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Security Team
Analyst

Hello keltics,

Why do you click on the Thread Tools?

Can't you do when clicking on the link below to download? If you can, please do the instructions in my post #3

If you can't, let me know.

LINK
Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

I clicked on thread tools because your instructions in post #3 said to. The affected machine cannot get online to download.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
Security Team
Analyst

Hello keltics,

Sorry for delay. it does not seem malware related based on your descriptions. Revo Uninstaller does not install other junk.

I have three suggestions for you.

First, as I said, it does not seem malware related. Therefore, you can ask for help from our Network or Windows forum.

Second, if you have a system restore point of time where the internet connection, you can try using it. Or You might also try using the Windows 10 refresh.

Thirdly, I want to use tools you can download on another computer, you can move and use your own computer. However, this suggestion may require some time.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hi Tolga,

I'll do whatever you think best. You are the expert here.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:22 AM   #9
Security Team
Analyst

Hello keltics,

Ok. You can start with my first suggestion. Then, if you want, return to this thread (or open new thread) and we will pursue other options to help you/them solve the problem.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thank you for your help, Tolga. I'll go to the Windows forum.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #11
Security Team
Analyst

Hello keltics,

You're welcome. Good luck