Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help

User Tag List

A "taskeng.exe" virus, or something even more sinister?

This is a discussion on A "taskeng.exe" virus, or something even more sinister? within the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've just created this account because I have a potentially serious problem that I believe may be a virus.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hello, I've just created this account because I have a potentially serious problem that I believe may be a virus. I'm a software engineer for a financial corporation. Without going into excessive detail, a virus (I suppose spyware specifically) on my work computer could lead to very sensitive information being stolen.

Due to this, I can only work with established and reputable users at this forum.

I know there is a thread on a taskeng.exe malware issue from a while back, but my issue is a little bit of a different animal.

So allow me to start from the beginning. In high school I used to use a program called "SCAR Divi" to write programs (bots) to play video games for me. I loved making bots and exploiting vulnerabilities in games to cheat/hack my way to the top back in those days. Now come to today, I work full-time as a software engineer. I wanted to find a way to automate many of my tasks that are repetitive to speed up my day-to-day work.

So I looked up SCAR Divi and found the main site (https://scar-divi.com/) and downloaded it (version 3.41.00). As I ran the program, it was slow, failed often, many features were no longer functioning. It was like the fast reliable version from the past had been corrupted or something. I uninstalled the program/deleted the files and went on with life, giving up on making automation scripts.

Ever since that time, my computer has been half as fast, and freezes/hangs for frustratingly long periods of time during all tasks. I told people I thought I had a virus, but when Symantec (their AV) showed no virus, they told me I was fine. I don't have that much faith, but I had work to do so I ignored it and just dealt with the slowness (if I needed to wipe the hard drive and get a fresh new system it would be a serious headache for the company).

Then just today (6/5/17) I started having this phenomenon occur where taskeng.exe opened as a command prompt window, displayed nothing, and quickly closed. This has happened multiple times today. I've been told that this is often the result of malware. So now I'm back wondering if this is the virus that I suspected has been on my system for so long. OR it could be a separate malware altogether.

All antivirus programs say my system is clean, and I'm a Java developer and Database maintenance guy, not a virus expert so I'm not sure how to determine what kind of malware I have on my system, and the IT guy is inaccessible.

Can someone please help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Hello, I've just created this account because I have a potentially serious problem that I believe may be a virus. I'm a software engineer for a financial corporation. Without going into excessive detail, a virus (I suppose spyware specifically) on my work computer could lead to very sensitive information being stolen.
Quote:
I'm a Java developer and Database maintenance guy, not a virus expert so I'm not sure how to determine what kind of malware I have on my system, and the IT guy is inaccessible.
Those 2 statements make no sense. If information could be stolen, I think your IT guy would be very accessible. No matter...

The intention of this forum is not to replace a company's IT department, nor can we anticipate alterations or configurations that may have been made to a business machine, or how it will interact with the tools commonly used in the removal of malware. Administrator access is required for control of security applications.

More than one machine could be at stake, possibly even the server. If sensitive material has been compromised by an infection, the company could be held liable.

To prevent any possible loss or corruption of company information, please inform your IT department or Supervisor when a workplace computer has been infected, immediately.

This thread shall now be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015
Closed Thread