Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Winrar not working

This is a discussion on Winrar not working within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dear all, my previous version of winrar (v4.21), installed in win 8.1 was behaving oddly in win10, so I decided

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Dear all,

my previous version of winrar (v4.21), installed in win 8.1 was behaving oddly in win10, so I decided to install v5.21. Nonetheless, now it is incapable of compacting to the .rar format or decompacting from any .rar file I have.

It says "it was impossible to define the folder Rar$DRa0.XXX (XXX= a combination of numbers that change every time) as the actual folder".

Additionally, it also asks me to "verify the Winrar folder permissions or specify another temporary folder in the Winrar settings"

I have done it all with no success: winrar is still not working. Does anyone knows how to solve this issue?

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Have you tried right-clicking the winrar executable program file and selecting "Run as administrator"?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I agree. Sounds like WinRAR doesn't have permission to create/write to the HDD. Which would be related to how it was installed, or the user access account being used to run the program.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, The problem of not working of winRAR is its a compatibility issue between WinRAR and Windows.

Recently a visitor "Blu" contacted me about the same issue. He was using Windows 7.

If you are also facing this problem, follow these simple steps to fix the problem:

1. Open WinRAR and go to "Options -> Settings...".

2. Now click on "Integration" tab.

3. In "Shell integration" section, try following things to fix the problem:

Disable "Icons in context menu" option and click on OK button.
If the above trick doesn't work, then enable "Cascaded context menus" option.
If none of the above 2 options works, then remove the context menu entry by disabling "Integrate WinRAR into shell" option.
WinRAR_Bug_in_Win_Vista_and_7.png

4. After following 3rd step, your problem will be solved.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

Dear all,

thank you. Only now I saw your answers, and I am sorry for this.

I tried Monica's suggestion with no success, but the suggestion of executing it as Administrator worked out fine. Thank you guys!

Cheers from Brazil!
Daniel
Old 06-30-2016, 06:33 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Your welcome. Thanks for letting us know.
Closed Thread