Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Windows routine maintenance and tune up scripts

This is a discussion on Windows routine maintenance and tune up scripts within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. looking for some general tips or tools/scripts that can be used as part of a regular maintenance plan for Windows

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

looking for some general tips or tools/scripts that can be used as part of a regular maintenance plan for Windows computers.

things like:
disk cleanup
check disk
system file checker
install program and Windows updates
disable unused startup programs

i usually run these after i've fixed something for a customer but would like to find a way to automate it. i would prefer to not have to install any additional tools/program as i find that many of them to add little annoyances with popups and the like. perhaps a folder of scripts and portable programs would do the job.

any other suggestions you guys use as part of a routine tune up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

cpuid. Also, always take a look in the Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

You can put all your requirements together, and one of us can help put all of this in a PS script.. Jenae is an expert and can help as well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

a couple items could be scripted:
Windows updates
disk cleanup

chkdsk and sfc run easily enough in cmd. i'd want to see the results of the scans to then be able to address any errors anyhow.

disk cleanup would be nice to be scripted so that it would clear out specific folders like temp, user temp, internet temp and the Windows update SoftwareDistribution folder (after stopping required services first). i find the disk cleanup tool can take a really long time especially when you select Windows Updates to be cleared out. perhaps there's a reason for that, but i would think clearing out that SoftwareDistribution folder would do the job much faster.

having this script be universal for Windows 7, 8 and 10 would be best but obviously the more in-depth you go with tuning up, the more specific the script needs to be.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

You can have all of the items scripted, using a wait/pause option so as and when the first part of the script is complete it will keep going into the next lines of code....

Closed Thread