Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

What's the difference between a recovery disk and a repair disk

This is a discussion on What's the difference between a recovery disk and a repair disk within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi There seems to be a little confusion for some PC users about a System Repair Disk and system Recovery

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Troubled

Hi There seems to be a little confusion for some PC users about a System Repair Disk and system Recovery Disks. Both are great tools but are very different. I hope this link will clear this up. You need to have both stored in a safe place.
Andy Rathbone ¬Ľ Whatís the difference between a System Recovery disc and Windows 7ís System Repair disc?

PS I have the system recovery disks(5) and also a 16GB PNY USB with factory recovery. If you haven't created these, you need to do that soon!!
I also have several of the system repair Cd's which I give to senior citizens. They are excellent to boot windows when windows fails to boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Nice article.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Troubled

Thanks Joe! You made my day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

It does a good job explaining it, without being overly technical.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Troubled

Hi! If you didn't create a system repair CD, here's a link where you can down load the ISO file!
Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc ó MAXIMUMpcguides Ė Windows 7 tips, tricks, help, and how-to guides

Download a System Repair Disc

If you donít want to go through the process of creating a system repair disc you can download it below.
Note: You need to download the system repair disc associated with your computerís architecture (32 or 64-bit). How do I find out if my version of Windows is 32 or 64-bit?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The main problem with restore-disks is that most of 'em reinstall all the OEM-supplied bloat/junkware, as well as wiping any customisations to the PC.

No problem with repair-disks

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I found this useful in the past The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk | The PC Decrapifier

Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Orttimus Prime

Interesting. I just wrote an article on how to create an installation disc (recovery), but I never thought to mention repair discs or the difference between the two. Another day I guess. I always prefer to recover from my system image though. I don't trust the repair, especially since I'd have to eventually back up after the repair. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid. But, Sir, I must ask, why do you have so many backups? I have one at home on an external and another external that I keep offsite in case of a fire or something, but five? Are they all distributed in various locations or something?
Closed Thread