Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

What's the best third-party hardware diagnostic utility out there?

This is a discussion on What's the best third-party hardware diagnostic utility out there? within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Simple question - what's the best third-party hardware diagnostic utility out there? I've been looking at PC Doctor and Ultra

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Simple question - what's the best third-party hardware diagnostic utility out there? I've been looking at PC Doctor and Ultra X. I obviously prefer to use the native HP/Dell/Whoever diagnostics but a third-party one can come in handy for computers without built-in diagnostics.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Please specify if you mean for personal use or are computer repairs your business?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Both! :) Not in the mood to drop say $1k on some software though for my business at least not yet. What are the options for each scenario? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Imo, I would rather go with individual tools for diagnostics for each hardware, rather than a bundled app which may not be the best..

Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

How then do you deal with say intermittent motherboard issues or something like that, something other than hard drive or memory? Wouldn't an all-purpose diagnostic make things a lot easier to diagnose since you only need to run one utility? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crag_Hack View Post
Wouldn't an all-purpose diagnostic make things a lot easier to diagnose since you only need to run one utility?
I agree with Tristar, I don't think theres any such thing as an all-in-one hardware diagnostic but, if you find one, its very likely to be of dubious reputation.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 10-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

For Motherboard, the best is to get a Test card, plug it in the PCI slot and it runs diags and gives you an error code for you to use...

And I don't think there is a soft tool to diagnose a Motherboard issue... Speccy/CPU Z would be able to provide info regarding the motherboard slots and thermal info, beyond that, I don't think there is a tool that can diagnose a Mobo, I could be wrong, but logic tells me there isn't one..

Old 10-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crag_Hack View Post
How then do you deal with say intermittent motherboard issues or something like that, something other than hard drive or memory? Wouldn't an all-purpose diagnostic make things a lot easier to diagnose since you only need to run one utility? Thanks.
If you're gonna try to find a faulty component amongst the sheer number of them on a motherboard, then "easy" is not the way it's gonna go. If such software existed, we would actually repair motherboards instead of replacing them altogether, don't you think?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I agree. I've not seen software which identifies specific components/hardware faults. That type of repair is performed by an experienced tech.

Software tools will typically provide hardware info and stats on components, for example, the audio chipset, or cards that are installed. Most of that info can be found anyway with a little work (such as pulling the card and looking at it). The tools just make it much easier.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

A flaky/failing motherboard may not be able to even run software, or run it correctly anyway.
Closed Thread