Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

USB stopped working on iMac, files lost?

This is a discussion on USB stopped working on iMac, files lost? within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was transferring a bunch of files onto my USB key on my iMac when suddenly, the computer screen blipped

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was transferring a bunch of files onto my USB key on my iMac when suddenly, the computer screen blipped and all the existing files on my USB disappeared. Only 3 files were left and their names were all funny and unrecognizable. When I took out the USB and replugged it back in, the computer couldn't detect it.

Can someone help me? Does that mean there was a bug on my iMac that got transferred into the USB key? I need to recover the files on my USB. Is that still possible? Any recommendations?

I tried plugging it into my laptop but it doesn't read it either. Can anyone help me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

I just went through a horror story installing a new HP printer on an iMac that did not have the latest OS update (Sierra, V 10.12.5) It and another issue with USB drive recognition was resolved by upgrading to the latest OS version.

The OS version specified in your profile indicates you are using V 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). This was also the version that suddenly would NOT recognize the Time Machine drive, and also a newly installed HP printer.

Try that and see if it resolves your issue.

Hopefully there is no "damage" to your flash drive which is permanent.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yandex.ru
Hi, I accidentally downloaded myself yandex.ru. I tried to update my sound drivers and then suddenly it was there. My bad, I know. But this yandex is now impossible to get rid of! Yeah, I followed every advice in the internet to disable yandex search bar and so on, but my Firefox is still in...
Keefan Resolved HJT Threads 64 12-11-2015 12:09 PM
infected with javaws.exe
i have 33 programs installed but task manager shows %100 usage with no programs running. there are so many instances of javaws.exe running i can't count them. when i googled it one of the possible ways to remove led me to a program that didn't even identify it. :banghead: i tried adaware and...
imchar Inactive Malware Help Topics 5 09-23-2015 02:56 PM
Trojan Alureon Virus?
My WIN 7 Home Premium machine keeps losing internet access, and MS Security essentials identifies the Trojan as the Alureon Virus. I ran the DDS, but when I scan with GMER, my machine Blue Screens every time with the header "BAD_POOL_CALLER". DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) - NTFS_AMD64 Internet...
snhprepper Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 1 02-12-2013 07:58 PM
searchnu.com/406
Hi new to the forum so i hope i am in the correct section. I have followed the instructions as requested. This programme is a royal pain in the back side.. I could strangle my sister:angry::angry: My computer is brand new and she downloaded Ilivid to watch the fight. Now whenever i click...
looneyfitter Inactive Malware Help Topics 19 09-02-2012 12:43 AM
Virus plays random audio ads
Hello, I have had this virus a few times before, and usually would simply system restore and it went away. However, this time I've been doing a lot recently and don't want to have to reinstall or re download all my stuff, so any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated. Basically, I'll be...
Deatho Resolved HJT Threads 24 07-23-2012 11:16 AM