Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Stuttering and FPS drops in most games

This is a discussion on Stuttering and FPS drops in most games within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Since the past 3 days I am getting FPS drops and stuttering in my pc in games such as PUBG,

Old 02-22-2020, 04:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Since the past 3 days I am getting FPS drops and stuttering in my pc in games such as PUBG, Rainbow 6 Siege and Red Dead Redemption 2. I never used to get any FPS drops in Rainbow 6 Siege before. Last month I had another issue about which I posted here: https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f25/low-fps-on-good-pc-1240074.html

I fixed that issue by cleaning my CPU cooler, re-applying the thermal paste and installed 2 new fans in the case but after doing that the CPU idle temps dropped from around 65 C to 54 C and I stopped getting FPS drops in PUBG, CS GO and RDR2. Now during load when I am gaming the CPU temp reaches 75 C and I get constant stuttering and FPS drops in the above mentioned games except CS GO. Is 54 C too high when idle? Am I getting thermal throttling which I don't think is possible at 75 C. Is my PSU causing these issues? Should I replace my AMD Wraith Spire cooler?

My PC specs :
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Spire
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000 MHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING (BIOS version - F2)
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage - WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB and WD Blue 3D WDS500G2B0A SSD 1TB
PSU - Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 (650W 80+ Bronze)
SJ281993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Appears normal. From what I can see, the limit for that cpu is 95. So this doesn't appear to be a cpu temp issue.

Open Task Manager and watch the cpu usage.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote