Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Problem with PC booting after replacing a RAM and adding new HDD

This is a discussion on Problem with PC booting after replacing a RAM and adding new HDD within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Maybe before we start, my MOBO was damaged from the start, but got fixed (not replaced) after sending it on

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Maybe before we start, my MOBO was damaged from the start, but got fixed (not replaced) after sending it on warranty. And I had problems with my PC even before replacing parts, but now it's on a whole new level.

My specs before new HDD and RAM:

MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K (For some reason OCed to 4.06GHz, I didn't do it. System still shows the max is 3.50GHz tho)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x4GB, 3000MHz, CL15) (Currently on 2133MHz)
PSU: Cooler Master G550M (550W, Modular, 80+ Bronze)
SSD: GoodRam Iridium Pro (240GB)
HDD1: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C (1TB, 7,2KRPM)

And now:

MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K (Again OCed, but this time to 3,57GHz only)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 (Will be replaced by Asus GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix OC tomorrow)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB, 3000MHz, CL15) (Still on 2133MHz)
PSU: Cooler Master G550M (550W, Modular, 80+ Bronze)
SSD: GoodRam Iridium Pro (240GB)
HDD1: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C (1TB, 7,2KRPM)
HDD2: Toshiba P300 Performance (1TB, 7,2KRPM)

So, before the replacement I had quite similar problem to the new one. After booting up my PC I always had to just quickly do a few tasks like switching photos, then reboot via Windows (10 Home, 64-bit). After that I finally could use my PC without bluescreens. Also, about the bluescreens, if I forgot to do that little ritual I always had a bluescreen after using the PC for like 10 min. Those are the errors that I always got:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION win32k.sys
INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ndis.sys
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntfs.sys

Ok, finally here's the MAIN problem. Now after trying to boot my PC "nothing" happens. I mean, the fans and lightings inside the PC are up, but nothing shows on my monitor along with no lights in both mouse and keyboard.
Now after that I press the boot button again to turn the PC off and boot it again withing 10 sec, otherwise again no response.
After doing it the "American Megatrends" screen shows up and tells me my currently plugged stuff and that overclocking has failed. (Once again, I've never tried to OC here)
Now I press F1, and here's the lottery for BIOS freeze, if it didn't freeze then great. Next up I have to go to advanced mode (If i don't go there then I'll have to redo the whole proces) and press ESC to ignore changing setting (I never change anything). AND FINALLY after that it boots me to Windows.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Ok, finally here's the MAIN problem. Now after trying to boot my PC "nothing" happens. I mean, the fans and lightings inside the PC are up, but nothing shows on my monitor along with no lights in both mouse and keyboard.
Now after that I press the boot button again to turn the PC off and boot it again withing 10 sec, otherwise again no response.
Are you having issues once in Windows?

Quote:
After doing it the "American Megatrends" screen shows up and tells me my currently plugged stuff and that overclocking has failed. (Once again, I've never tried to OC here)
I'm confused. Didn't you just say that it was overclocked to 3.5?

Quote:
Now I press F1, and here's the lottery for BIOS freeze, if it didn't freeze then great. Next up I have to go to advanced mode (If i don't go there then I'll have to redo the whole proces) and press ESC to ignore changing setting (I never change anything).
Knowing that there was prior motherboard work on this system, this comment make me believe that it needs to be repaired again. Why was it sent in the first time?
Old 03-12-2017, 03:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Are you having issues once in Windows?
Nope. All good once I'm here

Quote:
I'm confused. Didn't you just say that it was overclocked to 3.5?
3.5GHz is the default value set by Intel, and I didn't play with

Quote:
Knowing that there was prior motherboard work on this system, this comment make me believe that it needs to be repaired again. Why was it sent in the first time?
Factory issue, one pin was missing from the socket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefu720 View Post
Nope. All good once I'm here
Have you performed a full reset of the BIOS? What BIOS version are you on?

Quote:
3.5GHz is the default value set by Intel, and I didn't play with
Yet you said this in the original post: Intel Core i5-6600K (Again OCed, but this time to 3,57GHz only)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you performed a full reset of the BIOS? What BIOS version are you on?
Nope. And I'm on version 1904. All I ever did there was changing the boot order.

Quote:
Yet you said this in the original post: Intel Core i5-6600K (Again OCed, but this time to 3,57GHz only)
It's a follow-up to "(For some reason OCed to 4.06GHz, I didn't do it. System still shows the max is 3.50GHz tho)".
Before changing the parts my CPU could reach 4.06GHz, and I didn't OC it. Now the number decreased to 3.57GHz, but still that's beyond the point at which it should be
Old 03-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

The first step I'd recommend here is a full reset of the BIOS and any BIOS updates that may be needed.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Is this even safe? I mean, my BIOS can freeze at any time.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Start with the BIOS reset to see how things go. Updating the BIOS isn't as risky anymore because there are BIOS recovery steps for Asus and Gigabyte:

https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1012219
Closed Thread