Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

New-used laptop, can't post pics of HDtune cuz irfan no install

This is a discussion on New-used laptop, can't post pics of HDtune cuz irfan no install within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Re: new-used laptop (Win-7 Pro, 32-bit) I'm running into obstacles within obstacles without an end in sight. I'd badly wanted


Like Tree7Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


Re: new-used laptop (Win-7 Pro, 32-bit)

I'm running into obstacles within obstacles without an end in sight.

I'd badly wanted to post diagnostic pics of HDtune, because the health section has a yellow warning (i.e. 3 sector replacement operations), and as for the other sections, I don't know what to make of them.
BTW, the temperature is 44.

So I tried installing Irfanview, (which I transferred from my XP laptop to this Win-7 one).

Result:
A Red X says:
Can't install all files yada yada... please close all running Irfanview instances & check etc.etc. for free space

Huh? It used to install with no issues on my WinXP thinkpads.

At one point it suggested I try running as Administrator - but I've no experience with that.

btw, it had also taken a very long time to boot up and gave a msg stating something about not finding a boot drive (though not sure I recall correctly.) Weirdly, it didn't take that long the other day, when I had:
booted via the battery (and without yet having hooked up my dual purple/green keyboard/mouse adapter.

Note too:
At boot-up, it stated I'm on a network, and to choose either HomeNetwork, or WorkNetwork, or other.
I chose none, since none were true. Rather proceeded to the IE browser (which I'm using for now).
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,149
OS: Windows 10



Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Re: new-used laptop (Win-7 Pro, 32-bit)

I'm running into obstacles within obstacles without an end in sight.

I'd badly wanted to post diagnostic pics of HDtune, because the health section has a yellow warning (i.e. 3 sector replacement operations), and as for the other sections, I don't know what to make of them.
BTW, the temperature is 44.

So I tried installing Irfanview, (which I transferred from my XP laptop to this Win-7 one).

Result:
A Red X says:
Can't install all files yada yada... please close all running Irfanview instances & check etc.etc. for free space

Huh? It used to install with no issues on my WinXP thinkpads.

At one point it suggested I try running as Administrator - but I've no experience with that.

btw, it had also taken a very long time to boot up and gave a msg stating something about not finding a boot drive (though not sure I recall correctly.) Weirdly, it didn't take that long the other day, when I had:
booted via the battery (and without yet having hooked up my dual purple/green keyboard/mouse adapter.

Note too:
At boot-up, it stated I'm on a network, and to choose either HomeNetwork, or WorkNetwork, or other.
I chose none, since none were true. Rather proceeded to the IE browser (which I'm using for now).

This being a used laptop, it is no surprise that the disk has bad sectors, and must be quite old too. The disk's temperature is also quite high (44 C) and very close to 50 C which we generally consider to be the critical threshold. Heat destabilizes things, save for a steam engine perhaps. The bad sectors will of course contribute to the high temperatures as the disk struggles along. Continued use of this disk will result in all kinds of problems such as those you are describing and many more. Your system will even crash unexpectedly especially when a particular critical process fails to read some data from the disk, or gets corrupted data. The short version to this is, that disk should be replaced with a new one. It's still operational, you may say, but bad sectors are like cancer. They keep spreading and eventually become too many to be reallocated. By the time the lesson is learnt, critical data loss or system failure has occurred.


You can use Snipping Tool which is included with Windows 7, so it doesn't need installing, and use it to capture a screenshot of HDTune and save it as an image file. Using Snipping Tool should be straight-forward, but if you need help, you can visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...re-screenshots
Stancestans is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


OK, after fooling around with the snipping tool, I couldn't figure it out, but then came to realize that there is also copy-to-clipboard options within the toolbar of HD-Tune. So here it all is (see below). Should I convey to the seller it's no good, or what? I am finding page-loading pretty slow, considering that its 4gb RAM and 1.8ghz (my thinkpad is 1.7ghz + 2RAM, yet I think faster to load. It could be the I.E. browser, as I've not yet installed another browser.

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 Information

Firmware version : MC4OC10H
Serial number : MPCDN7Y4H78ZRL
Capacity : 80.0 gB (74.5 GB)
Buffer size : 7538 KB
Sector size : 512 bytes
Standard : SATA I (1.5 Gb/s)
Supported mode : UDMA Mode 5
Current mode : UDMA Mode 5
Avergae speed : 28 MB/s
Rotation speed : -

S.M.A.R.T : yes
48-bit Address : yes
Read Look-Ahead : yes
Write Cache : yes
Host Protected Area : yes
Device Configuration Overlay : yes
Firmware Upgradable : yes
Automatic Acoustic Management: yes
Power Management : yes
Advanced Power Management : yes
Interface Power Management : yes
Power-up in Standby : yes
Security Mode : yes
SCT Tables : no
Native Command Queuing (NCQ) : yes
Trim : no

Volume : System Reserved (E:)
Capacity : 99 MB
Free : 71 MB
Usage : 28%
File system : NTFS
Serial : C4CA-58AD
Alignment : 1 MB

Volume : (C:)
Capacity : 76216 MB
Free : 55202 MB
Usage : 28%
File system : NTFS
Serial : 08CD-42F7
Alignment : 1 MB

----------------------------------------

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
(01) Raw Read Error Rate 100 100 62 0 ok
(02) Throughput Performance 114 114 0 3474 ok
(03) Spin Up Time 227 227 33 73014444033 ok
(04) Start/Stop Count 99 99 0 2302 ok
(05) Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 5 0 ok
(07) Seek Error Rate 100 100 0 0 ok
(08) Seek Time Performance 118 118 0 37 ok
(09) Power On Hours Count 56 56 0 19540 ok
(0A) Spin Retry Count 100 100 0 0 ok
(0C) Power Cycle Count 99 99 0 2302 ok
(BF) G-sense Error Rate 100 100 0 0 ok
(C0) Unsafe Shutdown Count 100 100 0 130 ok
(C1) Load Cycle Count 53 53 0 479433 ok
(C2) Temperature 127 127 0 219043528747 ok
(C4) Reallocated Event Count 100 100 0 3 warning
(C5) Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 ok
(C6) Offline Uncorrectable 100 100 0 0 ok
(C7) Interface CRC Error Count 200 253 0 0 ok

Health Status : warning

-----------------------

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 Error Scan

Scanned data : -
Damaged Blocks : -
Elapsed Time : -

--------------------------------

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 Erase

Erased data : -
Elapsed Time : -

-------------------------

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 File Benchmark

Drive E:

Transfer rate test

File Size: 500 MB

Sequential read
Sequential write
Random read
Random write
Random read (queue depth = 32)
Random write (queue depth = 32)

-------------------------------

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 Monitor


Block size

Number of I/O operations
Block size Read operations Write operations
0.5K 0.0% 0.0%
1K 0.0% 0.0%
2K 0.0% 0.0%
4K 0.0% 0.0%
8K 0.0% 0.0%
16K 0.0% 0.0%
32K 0.0% 0.0%
64K 0.0% 0.0%
128K 0.0% 0.0%
256K 0.0% 0.0%
512K 0.0% 0.0%
1024K 0.0% 0.0%
2048K 0.0% 0.0%
<=64K 0.0% 0.0%
>64K 0.0% 0.0%

Maximum speed
Block size Read speed Write speed
0.5K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
1K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
2K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
4K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
8K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
16K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
32K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
64K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
128K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
256K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
512K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
1024K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
2048K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
<=64K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
>64K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s

Median speed
Block size Read speed Write speed
0.5K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
1K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
2K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
4K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
8K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
16K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
32K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
64K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
128K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
256K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
512K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
1024K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s
2048K 0.0 MB/s 0.0 MB/s

Position
Position percentage
0% 0.0%
1% 0.0%
2% 0.0%
3% 0.0%
4% 0.0%
5% 0.0%
6% 0.0%
7% 0.0%
8% 0.0%
9% 0.0%
10% 0.0%
11% 0.0%
12% 0.0%
13% 0.0%
14% 0.0%
15% 0.0%
16% 0.0%
17% 0.0%
18% 0.0%
19% 0.0%
20% 0.0%
21% 0.0%
22% 0.0%
23% 0.0%
24% 0.0%
25% 0.0%
26% 0.0%
27% 0.0%
28% 0.0%
29% 0.0%
30% 0.0%
31% 0.0%
32% 0.0%
33% 0.0%
34% 0.0%
35% 0.0%
36% 0.0%
37% 0.0%
38% 0.0%
39% 0.0%
40% 0.0%
41% 0.0%
42% 0.0%
43% 0.0%
44% 0.0%
45% 0.0%
46% 0.0%
47% 0.0%
48% 0.0%
49% 0.0%
50% 0.0%
51% 0.0%
52% 0.0%
53% 0.0%
54% 0.0%
55% 0.0%
56% 0.0%
57% 0.0%
58% 0.0%
59% 0.0%
60% 0.0%
61% 0.0%
62% 0.0%
63% 0.0%
64% 0.0%
65% 0.0%
66% 0.0%
67% 0.0%
68% 0.0%
69% 0.0%
70% 0.0%
71% 0.0%
72% 0.0%
73% 0.0%
74% 0.0%
75% 0.0%
76% 0.0%
77% 0.0%
78% 0.0%
79% 0.0%
80% 0.0%
81% 0.0%
82% 0.0%
83% 0.0%
84% 0.0%
85% 0.0%
86% 0.0%
87% 0.0%
88% 0.0%
89% 0.0%
90% 0.0%
91% 0.0%
92% 0.0%
93% 0.0%
94% 0.0%
95% 0.0%
96% 0.0%
97% 0.0%
98% 0.0%
99% 0.0%

Programs
Program Read I/Os Total read Write I/Os Total write

Statistics
Parameter Read Write
Total transfer
Total I/O operations
Maximum speed
Maximum IOPS
512 I/O operations
512 Median speed
1K I/O operations
1K Median speed
2K I/O operations
2K Median speed
4K I/O operations
4K Median speed
8K I/O operations
8K Median speed
16K I/O operations
16K Median speed
32K I/O operations
32K Median speed
64K I/O operations
64K Median speed
128K I/O operations
128K Median speed
256K I/O operations
256K Median speed
512K I/O operations
512K Median speed
1024K I/O operations
1024K Median speed
2048K I/O operations
2048K Median speed
<=64K I/O operations
<=64K Median speed

-------------------------------------

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 Random Access

Test capacity: full

Read test

Transfer size operations / sec avg. access time max. access time avg. speed
512 bytes
4 KB
64 KB
1 MB
Random

------------------------------------

HD Tune Pro: Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00 Extra Tests

Test capacity: full

Random seek
Random seek 4 KB
Butterfly seek
Random seek / size 64 KB
Random seek / size 8 MB
Sequential outer
Sequential middle
Sequential inner
Burst rate

P.S. I must take an indefinite break now, as seriously, tech knocks me out to the Nth degree. Thanks so much for all your advice & for bearing with me.
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center
 
Rich-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 14,467
OS: Windows 10 Professional

My System


The "Home" vs "work" sounds like common first time screen when pc first sees internet.
Choice doesn't really matter but if you want to use the internet you must make one. I usually choose "work" as it goes right in without further questions and doresn't matter which you choose.
I have no clue what you mean about installing Iview from XP computer? Go here download and install:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/299-irfanview.html
__________________


All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Rich-M is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager
 
joeten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Posts: 68,192
OS: win 10 Home



Here is how to use the snipping tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...re-screenshots

To attach a snapsot or file etc to TSF use the go advanced button right next to the post a quick reply button, then choose the paper clip icon from the tool bar on the top.
Minni likes this.
__________________






Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


I'd like to postpone the Home vs. Work option for now, and concentrate on HDtune, because I urgently am running out of time to know if i should return this laptop.

I'm working now on screenshots - please bear with me.
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


here's 1st batch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_aam.png
Views:	22
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	321116   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_benchmark.png
Views:	10
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	321118   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_erase.png
Views:	11
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	321120  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_error.png
Views:	11
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	321122   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_extra.png
Views:	17
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	321124   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_health.png
Views:	11
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	321126  

__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


here's 2nd batch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_health.png
Views:	11
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	321128   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_info.png
Views:	14
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	321130   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdtune_monitor.png
Views:	10
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	321132  

Click image for larger version

Name:	random.png
Views:	10
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	321134  
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,149
OS: Windows 10



That HDD model is at least a decade old (2006-2007), which makes it too old to rely on. The S.M.A.R.T Attribute/parameter C4 (Reallocation Event Count), highlighted in yellow in your screenshot, has a value of 3. This attribute indicates how many attempts were made (whether successful or not) to reallocate/remap bad sectors. It is a critical parameter and should be taken seriously because it is suggestive of an imminently failing drive whose use should be discontinued as soon as possible, and as you can see, HDTune is drawing your attention to it.


Unexpectedly, the S.M.A.R.T attribute 05 (Reallocated Sector Count) is reporting a value of 0. This implies that not a single bad sector was remapped, despite the fact that the C4 attribute shows 3 attempts were made to remap bad sectors. Maybe the attempts were unsuccessful, hence the reason why the Reallocated Sector Count is still 0, but if that is the case then there's even more reason to worry about the health of that disk. The S.M.A.R.T sensors could have failed a long time ago due to the disk's declining health as it ages, thus giving inaccurate information.


That laptop needs a new hard disk. You'd better return it while you still can, or get ready for a new HDD purchase and a fresh installation of Windows. Installing the new hard disk, preparing Windows installation media and installing Windows on the new hdd are technical operations that I doubt you're willing to undertake, so you'd better just return it.
Minni likes this.
Stancestans is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center
 
Rich-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 14,467
OS: Windows 10 Professional

My System


Making the decision of know you access the internet really makes no difference so all you accomplish by postponing that is you won't be able toi access the internet is all and it sounds like you need to return what you bought as the hard drive needs replacing already anyway.
Minni likes this.
__________________


All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Rich-M is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
That HDD model is at least a decade old (2006-2007), which makes it too old to rely on. The S.M.A.R.T Attribute/parameter C4 (Reallocation Event Count), highlighted in yellow in your screenshot, has a value of 3. This attribute indicates how many attempts were made (whether successful or not) to reallocate/remap bad sectors. It is a critical parameter and should be taken seriously because it is suggestive of an imminently failing drive whose use should be discontinued as soon as possible, and as you can see, HDTune is drawing your attention to it.


Unexpectedly, the S.M.A.R.T attribute 05 (Reallocated Sector Count) is reporting a value of 0. This implies that not a single bad sector was remapped, despite the fact that the C4 attribute shows 3 attempts were made to remap bad sectors. Maybe the attempts were unsuccessful, hence the reason why the Reallocated Sector Count is still 0, but if that is the case then there's even more reason to worry about the health of that disk. The S.M.A.R.T sensors could have failed a long time ago due to the disk's declining health as it ages, thus giving inaccurate information.


That laptop needs a new hard disk. You'd better return it while you still can, or get ready for a new HDD purchase and a fresh installation of Windows. Installing the new hard disk, preparing Windows installation media and installing Windows on the new hdd are technical operations that I doubt you're willing to undertake, so you'd better just return it.
Stancestans, thanks so much. You're really helpful!
Can you please advise what i should "technically" convey to the seller, as brief as possible?

For example, can i accurately say:
"After testing the health of the HDD on the laptop you sold me (via HDtune software), I wish to return this laptop, due to the high probability of a failing HDD. My claim is based on HDtune's Reallocation Event Count of 3"

Also:

Prior to returning, to maintain privacy, do i:
Clear History?
my Gmail bookmark (where to delete?
my Yahoomail bookmark (ditto?
uninstall PaleMoon program?
uninstall VLC?
uninstall HDtune?
(Irfanview is in Downloads folder, but failed to install)
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


P.S. On 2nd thought, assume i ask the seller if he'd agree to change the HDD with a good one, including reinstallation of the same version of Win 7, would that be a good way to go?

Note that this laptop has a label on it stating "Designed for Windows XP", and another stating "Centrino Duo".
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,149
OS: Windows 10



Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Stancestans, thanks so much. You're really helpful!
Can you please advise what i should "technically" convey to the seller, as brief as possible?

For example, can i accurately say:
"After testing the health of the HDD on the laptop you sold me (via HDtune software), I wish to return this laptop, due to the high probability of a failing HDD. My claim is based on HDtune's Reallocation Event Count of 3"


Yeah, you could tell them that, or just tell them the hard drive is too old, is failing and has given you problems already, i.e program installation issues and very slow startup. If they know what to look for to ascertain the disk's health, they won't need you to tell them how you came to that conclusion (HDTune).


Quote:
Also:

Prior to returning, to maintain privacy, do i:
Clear History?
my Gmail bookmark (where to delete?
my Yahoomail bookmark (ditto?
uninstall PaleMoon program?
uninstall VLC?
uninstall HDtune?
(Irfanview is in Downloads folder, but failed to install)
You can have all of that cleaned out by creating a new administrator user account, log into it and then delete the old one that you were using (Including its data). To ensure the deleted data is unrecoverable, you can wipe the drive's free space using CCleaner or any other tool mentioned there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
P.S. On 2nd thought, assume i ask the seller if he'd agree to change the HDD with a good one, including reinstallation of the same version of Win 7, would that be a good way to go?

Note that this laptop has a label on it stating "Designed for Windows XP", and another stating "Centrino Duo".
There's no other way around replacing a failing hdd. If he agrees to change it, that would be the best thing to do. If he doesn't, then you'd rather get your money back and look elsewhere. That laptop is very old, but if it suits your needs and you're happy with it generally, and the hdd is the only problem you have with it, then a hdd change will suffice.
Minni likes this.
Stancestans is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Yeah, you could tell them that, or just tell them the hard drive is too old, is failing and has given you problems already, i.e program installation issues and very slow startup. If they know what to look for to ascertain the disk's health, they won't need you to tell them how you came to that conclusion (HDTune).
Thanks!

Quote:
You can have all of that cleaned out by creating a new administrator user account, log into it and then delete the old one that you were using (Including its data). To ensure the deleted data is unrecoverable, you can wipe the drive's free space using CCleaner or any other tool mentioned there.
................................
Thanks for all the advice!

Some Qs:
  • So I create another Administrator account, such that there become 2 Admin. accounts until the 1st-admin account gets deleted?
  • What about the Guest-Account (which is Off)? Do i fool with that?
  • Also, do I delete everything (i.e. without choosing to "keep files"? I found the HowToGeek instructions confusing to follow.
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,149
OS: Windows 10



Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Thanks for all the advice!

Some Qs:
So I create another Administrator account, such that there become 2 Admin. accounts until the 1st-admin account gets deleted?
Correct.

Quote:
What about the Guest-Account (which is Off)? Do i fool with that?
No.

Quote:
Also, do I delete everything (i.e. without choosing to "keep files"? I found the HowToGeek instructions confusing to follow.
Yes, you delete everything. That is the desired result for this process. We don't want to keep any files/data that belonged to the 1st account (that you were using).
Minni likes this.
Stancestans is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


Got it! I hope to get the ball rolling as soon as i humanly can, between big-chunks of real-life, and between bouts of headaches which i get from computer use.

Again, you were/are a HUGE help!

I'll mark this Resolved - though i think the Subject line should perhaps be changed.
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System

Question

Urgent followup:

The seller is suggesting sending me a new HDD with the OS pre-loaded [which i'd have to figure out how to replace in compartment).

I'm not sure how to respond, as i don't know for sure if the HDD is the only problem.

What if it requires a new motherboard too?
And/or an SSD?

Also, when i first got this laptop, i was experiencing sorta a "twittering" cursor. I.E. every letter i'd type, would cause the cursor to "rapidly-blink" in whichever location the mouse-cursor happened to be.
I believe that might have corrected itself.

Note there's 4gb RAM thus RAM shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,149
OS: Windows 10



Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Urgent followup:

The seller is suggesting sending me a new HDD with the OS pre-loaded [which i'd have to figure out how to replace in compartment).

I'm not sure how to respond, as i don't know for sure if the HDD is the only problem.

What if it requires a new motherboard too?
And/or an SSD?

Also, when i first got this laptop, i was experiencing sorta a "twittering" cursor. I.E. every letter i'd type, would cause the cursor to "rapidly-blink" in whichever location the mouse-cursor happened to be.
I believe that might have corrected itself.

Note there's 4gb RAM thus RAM shouldn't be a problem.
I deliberately didn't comment on RAM, but now that you mention it, I'll just put it out. You mentioned that it's running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Here's the thing: 32-bit versions of Windows cannot fully utilise more than 3GB of RAM. If you looked at computer properties, you'd notice that the usable amount of RAM is about 2.97GB or a value close to 3GB and no more, yet the total amount installed is 4GB. This is a limitation of 32-bit OS and the solution is to install 64-bit OS. I'm not sure if that would be possible considering the age of the laptop. I'm not sure if the Centino processor is capable of running 64-bit Windows, chances are it isn't, which means you won't really benefit from the 4GB ram which should be an upgrade from a 2GB ram laptop.


Another thing, how is he going to install Windows onto the replacement disk? He cannot use another computer to do it because Windows won't work. You cannot just install Windows on one computer and then transfer the disk to another computer. There is a way of applying a Windows image to a disk without booting from the target computer, like OEMs do, but is he going to do the same? I wonder. Perhaps you could ask him how he plans to do it and see what he has to say?


We cannot for sure say if the hdd is the only problem, but it is the most conspicuous one and needs replacement before assessment of the laptop can proceed, and yeah, you will have to figure out how to replace the disk or seek the help of someone else. I still think it's best to let him do the replacement and reinstallation of Windows, possibly 64-bit, if the hardware supports it.
Minni likes this.
Stancestans is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast
 
Minni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 565
OS: Win 7 Home premium

My System


It's OK, i'm fine with 3gb too, and i didn't want 64-bit since that's more powerful & might affect my proclivity toward sensitivities. So i wanted to postpone that as long as i can, which may not be long (given upcoming trends).

As for the Q you suggested i ask him - i'd totally forgotten about that! Good point, and I did just send him that question, as well as "what does he think of the conditon of the cpu & graphics card".

It also occurs to me that the reason the "twittering cursor" seems to have become corrected, might be the switch i made to palemoon (from InternetExplorer). The latter was driving me bananas.
__________________
My most-recent updated System-Info is in My-Profile
Minni is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #20
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,149
OS: Windows 10



Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
It's OK, i'm fine with 3gb too, and i didn't want 64-bit since that's more powerful & might affect my proclivity toward sensitivities. So i wanted to postpone that as long as i can, which may not be long (given upcoming trends).

As for the Q you suggested i ask him - i'd totally forgotten about that! Good point, and I did just send him that question, as well as "what does he think of the conditon of the cpu & graphics card".

It also occurs to me that the reason the "twittering cursor" seems to have become corrected, might be the switch i made to palemoon (from InternetExplorer). The latter was driving me bananas.
Internet Explorer is dead, best to leave it that way. My curiosity has gotten the best of me, so i gotta ask, how much was this laptop?
Stancestans is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting
The procedure below is to be carried out once you have addressed any Software, Driver, Malware/Virus or Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) issues or if your laptop does not power on at all. If previous BSOD issues had occured then carry out the following in this link - BSOD Posting Instructions. There...
night_shift Laptop Support 1 10-22-2014 03:52 PM
Vista to XP Downgrade Compaq/ HP F700/G6000/DV6900/DV6700/DVx7xx/DV9800 Series Laptop
GUIDELINES Please read the following:. I have compiled a list of drivers for the Compaq Presario/HP F700/G6000,DV6900/DV6700/x7xx and DV9800 series laptops with an AMD Processor ONLY. These drivers have been used "Successfully" to downgrade these laptops from Vista to XP. I must warn you....
BCCOMP Laptop Support 3 11-04-2008 07:58 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is on
Smilies are on
[IMG] code is on
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Post a Question


» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
  > 10.0.0.2
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2018, Tech Support Forum

Windows 10 - Windows 7 - Windows XP - Windows Vista - Trojan Removal - Spyware Removal - Virus Removal - Networking - Security - Top Web Hosts